Jump to content

Kenon Rain.

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

8 Neutral

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

516 profile views
  1. Should have some progress pictures this weekend, still no liner but will have it all painted and assembled until I can get some. Going to fire it soon. Tempting to just fire it unlined.. probably pretty even heat if the whole thing is glowing red lol
  2. Lid is done too, seal welded on the inside w bronze stitches on the outside. Made it oval for wide blades. Theoretical max capacity is 6"x 40" blade length
  3. Sorry for the break in updates, just waiting on insulation still, here are some pics of it assembled. I went for straight in thinking I want symmetry to my heating in case I cant turn a large ir curved blade around in the furnace. I can use a baffle to arc the heat around the blade but I'm not sure if I'll need it really. The flames may be so short that I have about a foot between them and the blade placement. Wont know if its neccessary until I try it out. Updates soon, thanks.
  4. Got the burner mounted, looking good. Going to cut the hole on the lid tomorrow then we ready for lining once I get the insulation. I'll test fire it w just the stabalized kaowool to determine if I need a baffle, then go from there. Also need to make the 3 thermocouple ports
  5. Thanks! All I got done today was weld out and cleanup so no pics until next week. Should have it wrapped up and lined by next Friday for a test fire!
  6. More progress, getting closer. Formed up the mounting plate and welded it to the burner, and made the lid for the forge body. Need to cut a bunch of holes tomorrow in the lid and body, weld out, and probably come up with some kind of baffle to make the heat extra even.. I was going to angle the jets so that I could maybe avoid the baffle, but with the flames being so short I'm not sure it would really spiral around the chamber like I want so I think going in straight with a formed baffle will be the right approach.. we'll see.
  7. Little update, body rolled and tacked up. 21" diameter. More coming this week.
  8. I just found that naturally aspirated one too, that's new since I last researched these and seems like a worthy project. Might attempt one for the welding forge I'll be building soon after this is completed.
  9. Just the tips, that a why the jets are so long, the plenum could have been mild steel but I thought stainless would look cool/be fancy... i dont know if you are familiar with ribbon forge/glory hole burners but this is an adaptation of those. Here is a link to a good one -https://www.pineridgeburner.com Worst case, I'm figuring I could install some sort of stainless baffle or plug some of the flame ports to move heat around.
  10. It should hold up very well at 1500', but I'm going to set it into the shell once I get the location right and satanite them in. Possibly protruding a little bit. The placement is going to be a guess, but I have a good feeling that it's going to work out. Shooting for an id of 20" with the insulation, should be big enough to heat evenly and small enough to play off the advantage of the burner style. I'll have 3 locations for taking temp measurements. Designing it so that I can eventually manage temp w a pid controller, but hoping I can just set it up so I can just turn it on and it'll hit and maintain temp without it. Another advantage of the setup is the tunability. The burner can be adjusted from quite a small flame to much more than will be needed. Reasonably efficient too
  11. I'm curious too, I'm kinda winging the science, I thought about having an engineer friend run some airflow simulations but didnt want to ask too much of him. If this doesnt work as a vertical I always have the option of laying it down as a horizontal, which will work and keep an even temperature. I'm just trying to build a vertical to help prevent warpage
  12. Hey guys, long time since I posted last. I've been working as a fabricator/food grade sheet metal worker for the past 7 years or so and have developed some skills that I want to incorporate into a return to this craft. I'll be building a large shop next year, and will be building a full set of very nice equiptment to outfit it with in the time leading up to that. This is a work in progress thread that should come along pretty quickly. To start with, I'm making an experimental forge for heat treatment, it will be 20" in diameter, top fed and powered by the burner shown below. The video I posted is of a test firing. The ribbon section/plenum is all stainless steel w 15 1/4" jets set at increasing distances of 1/8" so that the bottom two are roughly 1" on center, and the top two are nearly 3". This is to theoretically help compensate for heat rising and collecting at the top of the forge. The black component is mild steel with an integrated slide gate, fuel line, and seperate port for the extra air since my fan is oversized. I figure this will act as a safety feature for settled propane, and help keep the burner cool. This burner will obviously be mounted vertically on the forge body, and with the closer spaced jet end towards the bottom, I will be posting pictures of thr construction of the chamber within the coming week or so. Aiming for ready for lining by the end of next week.
  13. Haha hard hand sanding for an extended period of time is definitely cardiovascular exercise. I say it counts
  14. Ti cuts surprisingly well with a cutting torch
  15. I'll have some progress to post of my small stainless ribbon burner later this week got all the metering tubed cut up and ready to tig in. Trying to see how much power I can jam into a small forge (under 1'x1') Excited to see what you come up with, I'm experimenting with using less holes and smaller diameter on my long forge design, I think as long as pressure is adequate in the plenum we shouldn't have any burn back issues.
  • Create New...