Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Alveprins last won the day on April 24

Alveprins had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

242 Excellent

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    Forging, Genetics, Astronomy.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,585 profile views
  1. Alright, so I wanted to make a special "Certificate of Authenticity" for this blade - but it turned out a disaster... I decided to make an attempt at illuminating some calfskin parchment with gold and silver pen, as well as caligraphy pointed permanent markers. I made the design on my tablet, printed it - taped the parchment to the paper and traced the lines. However - my markers - struggled to transfer any pigment down to the parchment, and only the very first lines from a fresh marker would be nice and clean... after that I had to use the marker multiple times over the
  2. Thank you Brian! Actually, I will be starting work on another one - slightly different quite soon... I have some ideas brewing - and steel already prepared.
  3. that "groove" towards the blade makes all the difference. The way I see it, you want the light reflecting off as many facets / details as possible.
  4. Thanks everyone! I suppose I have Mr. Longmire although the frame for the dagger handle was heavily inspired by the numerous coffin handled bowies I've seen on the forum.. ... With some slight variations of my own of course.
  5. Hi everyone... Previously I posted a little sneak peek at something I was working on.. Well, now that little something has come to completion - and I'm ready to share it with those who might be interested at having a look. I've always wanted to give it a shot at a dagger - since this blade geometry has fascinated me ever since I was a kid... And without further ado, after 170 work hours - I give you Vegvisar - the Pathfinder! I have forged this dagger in honor of the four dwarves, Norðri, Suðri, Austri and Vestri - supporting the heavenly dome
  6. Hi guys, I've been working on this little side-project for the past week - and thought I'd give a little sneak-peek. I've decided to go with a new makers mark for myself. This one is the first one of it's kind - and is in a deep relief with copper inlay. In the future all my makers marks will be 24k gold inlay. (still in the mail unfortunately...) Thought I'd give a shot at a dagger - and finished the blade in it's entirety today. about 40 hours work on the blade. (not including pattern welding. Had a bar lying around...) Have
  7. Haha! Yeah, my mother sends my wife clips of dudes doing poledancing tricks on Instagram.. I asked her "Do you have ANY idea the amount of pressure you're putting on ME?!" Haha! Man, I need to cut down on the carbs... Anyhow, I'm sure you'd be able to whip up something great! (problem though, is not getting paid... )
  8. Yeah yeah, give me until tomorrow at least - need to sharpen a knife and sleep! Haha! I'll get right on it in the morning.
  9. Alright, so December 2019 I forged a fork for my wife (link HERE) and in 2020 I was suppose to get her a matching knife.. Now, time ran away from me - and I weren't able to finish it until now- but now I have! The steel is 15n20 and.. something - I don't remember... I decided to practice some more inlay, doing some 0,5mm and 1,0mm wire inlay into the "bolster" and heart. Made some use of my new Lindsay Bench Jewel Rotary Tool along with my newly acquired super small FG 1/4 dentist burs. (undercutting 0,5mm grooves i
  10. So, I had an engraving thread here a while back (link HERE) and since then I've made some progress. I just finished Sam Alfano's "Deep Relief Sculpting" instructional video: And here is my result! Of course I could not help but improvise a bit as I am a slave to details... As a first try - I am quite happy with the outcome. Next time I want to combine it with inlay as well. I can't wait to use this technique for my next blade project... I can imagine using this technique on the blade, as well as metal details for handle and / or sheath.
  11. Haha! Nah, this is Norway - not the US. Anyhow, seems I can get the real deal - and won't have to experiment.
  12. I get you Brian, but my mind is dead set on this. I need to have this equipment close and ready, and I will have to learn how to use it as it seems I am taking this bladesmithing business from hobby to full-time.
  13. UPDATE: Alright, so seems I am able to get the salts. I called up Brownell's Norway ,who directed me to a gunsmith, who again directed me to another gunsmith who imports the stuff. He has about 700kg (1500 pounds) in stock, so I will be droping by him real soon. I will buy the tank itself from Brownell's, however the burners are way too expensive at 500USD for a complete burner. I suppose I will have to make one myself. Next thing is to get a long metal pipe, and some sort of regulator / air intake thingy....
  14. I believe I might have a solution... I can get my hands on Lye ( NaOH) Sodium Hydroxide in the form of good old "Caustic Soda" which is is sold for cleaning. As for the Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) or Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) - I can get some Calcium Nitrate Fertilizer containing more than or equal to 90% Nitric Acid (HNO3) - while the rest of the fertilizer ingredients are Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN for short) (5Ca(NO3)2•NH4NO3•10H2O) If I could possibly use 5 pounds of Lye (NaOH) and 2,5 pounds of Fertilizer (90% Nitric Acid HNO3 + 10% CAN) dissolved in 1 gallon of
  15. Thanks man! Actually, I don't really have time to collect my own p*ss for months, so I will have to try to get potassium nitrate somehow if it can function as a replacement for sodium nitrate. I see the farmacy here in Norway sells it, but at the quantity I need (2,5 pounds) I'll need to fork up 500 USD.
  • Create New...