Jump to content

Ross Vosloo

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Ross Vosloo last won the day on May 24 2020

Ross Vosloo had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

174 Excellent

About Ross Vosloo

  • Birthday 01/29/1992

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Harare, Zimbabwe
  • Interests
    Land Cruiser 40 series owner
    Birder, Hunting, Fishing, etc

Recent Profile Visitors

1,279 profile views
  1. Thanks! Thanks man, good to be back Thanks! So that's called a bird's eye pivot. It's basically a thick washer that just serves to spread the load of the pin being peened tight so that you dont mess up a more delicate material, like bone of hippo teeth. Thanks boet! I agree, and I cabt expla6how much satisfaction they are giving me right now!
  2. Hi all, been a while since i was last here. been a difficult first half of the year and hope all are well. heres a picture dump of what ive been up to. recently, Ive been on a slipjoint craze. love making them, theres a whole other dimension with the fit and action. thanks for looking!
  3. Ja I did. There is definitely a difference in etch between the edge and the spine where I played, but no hamon line. It just blends from one to another and not very good looking at all, that's why I just stuck with a plain finish. No idea what may have happened. Thanks Clint!
  4. Hwzt all. Another big project with a few firsts out the way for me. It's a 17" total length bowie, take down construction with a copper frame handle. The steel started out as 3 separate pieces of 1070 that I forge welded into one big billet. I did clay it and differentially heat treat it but no hamon showed up in polishing, so not sure what happened there. Here are the details Steel: 1070 (3 layers forge welded together, hada technique I believe) Riveted langets: copper Guard: 5160 Spacers: copper and African blackwood Frame: filework
  5. awesome, thanks for the explanation. will have to give it a go
  6. that twist looks epic! mind talking us through it?
  7. this seems like a very similar problem to what i have with tambotie (Spirostachys africana). its a very hard dense wood with a very high oil content. it has so much oil that single pass with sand paper immidiately gums up. its not too alergic to water, but i have found when that if it makes contact with water that is contaminated with anything, like chlorine, it looses a lot of its colour. it might be a similar problem to what you are experiencing just for reference, here is what tambotie looks like
  8. Hey Gerhard its funny, i just put up a short video on my instagram today about this. i too cant find pin stock. so i use arc welding rods. 2.5mm are someof the most common, take them to your anvil and gently hammer the flux off, clean with a bit of sand paper and you have a 2.5mm pin. thats what i use for my line up pins
  9. been watching Kyle Royer for a long time now, almost since i started. in my opinion, he is right up there alongside Walter Sorrels in terms of how much i have learnt from them.
  10. Well, it's done! Learnt a lot, and although it hasnt turned out exactly how I wanted it to, I'm still very proud for my first sword. Final weight is 1.25 kgs. Handle is African blackwood and brass. Hilt is mild steel. Blade is mild steel and 1070 san mai. My biggest take home, scarf welds are for tangs, not blades!
  11. Thanks! My plan with the guard is to blacken it up in the forge, give it a bit more of a rough as forged look. Thanks for the tip with tempering. Ja, hindsight being 20/20, I would have used much much smaller stock. I had to grind a lot of the hilt to get the weight down. Glad you get the theme I'm going for! If it was wielded by anyone, I would want his name to start with Darth! Thanks very much! Here's today's work so far
  12. Been a while since last update. I keep forgetting to post up progress here. The heat treat went very well. I quenched to just below critical then straight into a straightening jig, 2 massive plates in the vice. Had only a very slight warp to the tip where the distal taper was. Then I had to torch temper the blade. This was a bit tricky, and I think I slightly over heated the blade in one spot, although I have found varying colour charts and sources that say different things about where this type of blade wants to be tempered to. next up was grinding the bevels and t
  13. Haha, no idea bru. Thanks very much. So here's where I am right now. Pretty much have the blade forged out to profile. It's at pretty much the perfect length, with the tip on the floor the end of the tang gets up to my belly button. As for width, I have 30mm at the start of the blade tapering right down to 12mm. I think that's going to do it nicely. Now I have to put this blade on a diet. It's at 1.2kg now, and my final finished sword weight is 1kg. So I'm thinking I need to get the blade alone down to around 600grams. Any one hav
  • Create New...