When I started setting up my wood shop last year I pulled my Dad's old drill press out of the unheated shed where it had been since '92. It was much smaller than I remembered and covered in a thick layer of rust. Since my goal was to do wood working, (and an occasional knife), I decided to buy a new one, so off to Lowes I went. I brought one home and assembled it. Turned it on and it worked, but the speed was a bit low. However, the bit ran true so I was satisfied.
Fast forward to a few days ago and I read something about drill speed being more important than I thought, (speed was set low enough for metal, and that's too low for wood). So I decided to change the speed. However, the tension adjustment lever would not move. I opened the top and the first thing I noticed was the belt from the spindle to the middle pulley went to the wrong step on the middle pulley. Also, the motor was tight against the housing, but the belts were still too tight. I spent a little time over several days before deciding to get serious today. The result of my research was that the two belts were different sizes and they were reversed on the pulleys at the factory. After forcing one of the belts off it's pulley I was able to switch the belts and can now adjust the speed when I want to.
When I told my wife what happened, all I got was a blank stare, so I decided to post my rant here... Thanx - I feel better now.