Jump to content

John Myshkoff

Members
  • Content Count

    108
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by John Myshkoff

  1. The fighter is now complete. I added a pin which was a p,i.a. to install at the final stage of construction.
  2. Today it will be on to the Wharncliffe. I ground the bevel last night and will finish polishing today. Pics to follow.
  3. Thanks Alan and Joshua for the advice. I drew both versions with a pin and wanted to use a pin, but I started to put the cart before the horse. Went to the garage and proceeded to drill the handle and fit a brass pin. The sixth sense said forget the pin use epoxy and all will be fine. I drilled and the edges of the hole on both sides are not clean. There is slight break out. Not terrible but enough for me to kick my own butt around the town a few times. Can I make a new handle? Yes. Will I ? Don't know. I make puukkos by epoxying them together. I had to hammer the hickory handle off one. Well the lesson for today is follow the tried and true game plan and don't change the sequence of steps. Truth be told, I liked it better without the pin.
  4. Thanks Zeb and Alex. Answer to why no pin: I'm not finished yet. I just got a little bit ahead of myself with the Lin-Speed and not following the plan. The tang is retentive, but I will drill it with a carbide bit today. I should have drilled for the pin when the handle was still a block. Lesson learned...the hard way.
  5. Rubbed in a few additional drops of Lin-Speed.
  6. Thanks Clifford. With each knife I make, come new lessons learned.
  7. The fighter is coming along. The handle is walnut from a piece that was cut about 70 years ago. Not super fancy, but hard and has good color and grain. I decided not to curve the lower portion of the guard since the knife fits my hand just right the way it is. All parts are fit together snugly. It is not perfect, but I'm happy with it. r
  8. Something in the design of the handle was bugging me. The forward end of the handle extended below the ricasso and a fellow knife craftsman was definitely correct when he said the thin ebony could crack. Also the edge of the wood is prone to cracking. A redesign gives a better visual presentation as well as a better functional handle. A choice of two butt designs was added. The drawing is actual size.
  9. Teardrop shaped guard with a slightly rounded and rearward curve.
  10. Swedge added and blade is completed 1000x finish then fine Scotchbrite finish.
  11. Thanks Mike. Moving toward completion. German silver guard with a cocobolo handle for the Fighter and a brass bolster with black paper micarta for the Wharncliffe.
  12. Thanks Alan, I'm getting the grinder ready for the Fighter on Tuesday.
  13. Truly a labor of love for the artistry we all aspire to. Such a beautifully crafted piece honors your knife making skill and dedication.
  14. Wes Detrick started me thinking about trying some new styles. I dug out some failures and started regrinding and slight redesigning of blades I thought were ruined. I learned there is usually another blade hiding in the former failure. The Wharncliffe and Fighter blades both have a convex grind. The ricasso on the Fighter is tapered from spine toward the edge which is slightly rounded. I have not added a swedge, just not sure yet.
  15. The subtleties of design and geometry are over the top. These knives just demand to be used and enjoyed.
  16. Thanks Alex. Before variable speed the junk blade box was getting full. Now I have started fixing the mistakes and the new blades benefit from the added practice. Prior to converting to VFD and 3 phase motor, post grinding meant hours of hand work. I also study the work of professional smiths and non pros who do exceptional work. There are many smiths here and other forums who post WIPs and share their techniques.
  17. I posted this 5.5" x 1" dagger blade before when it was near finish ground prior to HT. At that time I ground the blade vertically and it seemed easier than grinding horizontally. For me that is true to a certain point. Then it dawned on me that I now have variable speed and maybe I should rethink my procedure. So horizontal grinding at speeds I can control my work was the answer. Since I am not in a rush, I can take the time to learn at a slower pace. The steel is 1084 from Aldo. Grinding of the edge is almost complete. When it is the thickness of a dime, out it goes to HT.
  18. Thanks Zeb. I ground a 5.6" dagger today out of a piece of .188" 1084 steel. I still need to grind the tang a bit more and the edge grinds are almost to my pre HT dimensions as scribed. I did the major grinding horizontally with an 80 grit zirconia belt then vertically to get the grinds really straight. The guard will be German silver and the handle will be either redheart or ebony. I have to thank Wes Detrick for getting me to think out of my usual style. The bottom photo looks odd because of the angle.
  19. I dug out some old failed blades and fixed some of the flaws. Top to bottom blades are 5.5" fighter the ricasso tapers toward the bottom, a 6.5" fighter and two 3" last ditch wharncliffes. I'm still making Puukkos. I profiled a 5.25" dagger, edges not ground yet.
  20. Thank you for your praise of my work, Wes. Coming from a professional knife maker of your skill is humbling and most gratifying. BTW your work has been teaching me since I have joined this forum.
×
×
  • Create New...