Jump to content

Bill Schmalhofer

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Bill Schmalhofer last won the day on August 1 2020

Bill Schmalhofer had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

80 Excellent

About Bill Schmalhofer

  • Birthday April 26

Contact Methods

  • MSN

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Carmel, IN
  • Interests
    Family, Blacksmithing, blade smithing, woodworking, camping

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I went to a garage repair place and got a chunk of broken garage door spring. Amazing how much steel you get in a 2 foot length of coil spring. Guessing it is 1095. Works great. Shape it to a square cross section to have a nice flat on it and grind it shiny after heat treat. I've always heated to just a very dull red and quenched in water - no temper. Sparks like crazy. One of my favorite ones I made was dual purpose. Made one similar to Don's second from the bottom picture out of coil spring so it wasn't nearly as thick. Except instead of having a flat end, I drew it down to a poi
  2. Thanks for the reply Alan. I had a feeling I was a bit high in carbon. The tuyere was almost flat in when I was running. I dropped it by a brick height from where it was in the first picture after I got the fire going. I was thinking I may have to point it down a bit more to add some oxygen to lower the carbon. I also have a question for those that run hearth furnaces. Do you slag any of your fire bricks? This is what is left of the brick that the tuyere was stuck through. I don't remember seeing anyone else on the forum have this issue. The two bricks next to this one also had s
  3. I have been wanting to try a hearth furnace for several months now, but a leak in the master bathroom and the resulting repair work has had me occupied for a long time. Today I finally said I need eda mental health day and to do something fun. So hearth furnace run one. Did the (what seems to be becoming the ) standard 7 brick furnace with the blower from my first coal forge. Charged it with 5 - 200 gram charges of A36 that I had sitting around. Time between charges was about 5-6 minutes. Total recovery was about 800 grams. Furnace before first charge. Had t
  4. If you go to the AKS website, down at the bottom of each steel selection there is a box to input those three red letters. It will give you the specific analysis of the steel.
  5. May be a little late if you've already ordered the O1, but for hard use blades, I'm starting to fall in love with 8670 due to the simple HT...
  6. Will definitely do so. Still waiting though. I think they were overwhelmed by the response they got from the first 100 pre-sale. I see that you have one of their newer models. I have one of the older "classics". I have never had an issue with tracking. Slap the belt on, give a few manual pulls to check and let-er rip. If you do find something wrong with any of your wheels (or any of the parts really), contact them. They will probably make it right as I'm pretty sure they make in house most if not all their own wheels and attachments.
  7. Alan told me about this site. Don't know how expensive it would be to ship to you, but you can check it out. https://www.congresstools.com/ Do you find yourself using one type more than the others or are they all about the same?
  8. I love my Ameribrade grinder. Those guys really think through the engineering of the stuff they make. I just ordered their surface grinder attachment. Was one of the first 100 to order and it is supposed to be showing up sometime here soon.
  9. I'm going to second what Alan said. I've made three gas forges (one solid brick and two with Kaowool type material) and I used to coat them with Satanite. But by the 4th or 5th firing at welding temps, the satanite was peeling away and cracking. On the second forge I had made, I used some borax flux and it ate right through the satanite into the wool - hence the reason for the third forge. When the satanite on my current forge was looking pretty bad I tried Cast-o-lite 30 over top of what was left. I've used it for a about 30-40 hours of HARD forge welding and it still looks almost new. I'm ne
  10. +1 on the more photos and I always love watching your vids if you have them.
  11. Doing a beautiful job Garry. What type of stones do you use? I use all gray stones (silicon carbide) but I see you have a couple of different colors there.
  12. Great work Brian. I don't think it misses much by not having bolsters.That's a pretty nice piece of hickory and the mosaic turned out great.
  13. This was just revived from the dead over in Video and Multimedia. Wow, he makes it look SO easy. Several bricks, some wire, a bag of charcoal, a blower, and a source of low carbon metal... What could be simpler? Really well explained. Probably should be moved to Bloomers and Buttons and pinned...
  14. AKS claims it is hot rolled pickled annealed Oh yeah... I don't feel so bad now Owen if you are always having to straighten many times. It was raining last night here so I couldn't get the forge out to try a real normalizing. I tried it with a MAPP torch but I don't think I got it hot enough. Straightened the blade out before heating it up (dull red in a completely dark room), then let it cool in still air. Was straight when I went to bed. Checked it this morning before starting work and it had a bend to it. Not as bad as before, but still noticeable. Clear c
  15. Jan, you popped this one back up to the top just at the right time. I am also looking into doing this soon. We've had a discussion going on about Aristotle furnaces in the Beginner Place (Forge welding dirty gunky machine shavings By J.Leon_Szesny, October 27). Emiliano, thanks so much for this video and lesson. This is going to be a big help.
  • Create New...