Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'cutlery'.
Ok, let's see how this goes since I'm posting from my phone. This project has been dogging me for weeks now. Started one in 1084 and it cracked in the quench. Decided to try one in 1075 and go for a hamon. As far as I can tell, no hamon (or super minimal). I only took it to 220 on the KMG so far, followed by a coarse scotchbrite, 800 grit cork, then fine scotchbrite. Threw it into the ferric, and rubbed it with some mother's mag polish. I'm going to go back to 220 and work through the hand grits and see if that presents anything. But so far, no luck. So if anyone wants to speculate why and offer an opinion, please do. I think I didn't put the clay far enough down the blade. Either way, she'll be thin and she'll cut like crazy when I'm done in the end! I went ahead and paid the blood price so hopefully that'll satisfy the blade and her new owner never need know her bite.