Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'leaf spring'.
Ok fellow smiths. Here is my first forged knife. It’s from an old willys Jeep leaf spring (so I’m assuming it’s 5160). Took me quite a while to get it to this point as when I first started I had WAAAAYYYY too much material for the design I had. I ended up cutting a bunch off and re forging my edge. Once I was down to the correct amount of material I was able to get it down to the correct feeling and balance. Next time I make this design I will make the handle shorter so it has a more controlled feel. Next will be to do the heat treatment process and make a sheath! Hope you enjoy! Ok, here’s the update!!! A while ago I finished up my first ever forged knife! I used instant coffee to get that dark grey petina. The kydex sheath I also made myself.
Hello all! It has been awhile since i have posted anything, as I haven't really done anything worth posting recently to be honest. A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to just make something again. I have several 3/4 in thick leaf springs from my fathers old truck laying around, so i got the idea to see just how well i could estimate the material necessary to forge everything out. It turned out really well and i am very pleased with it. Unfortunately the smallest contacct wheel I have access to is 4 in. so i was not able to clean up the fuller. For the handle I decided to try out g10, as i have never used the material before. i really like how it turned out, but man.. does it stink. Final dimensions are: 16 in overall 11 in blade length 2 1/4 in wide
As some of you may remember a little while back, I was asking about steel types for a rapier project. Well, I opted to use what I have on hand, spring steel. To refresh everyone's memory, I included pictures of my design drawings along with progress pictures. The design drawings show a general idea of what I want to accomplish. In the second drawing, I zoomed in to show the basket. The next pictures shows the start of the build. I started off with a long leaf and split it length-wise. Starting with the tang, I drew it out to roughly the shape and size I need then proceeded to start the blade taper. Next, I started to refine the shape on the anvil before any grinding. During this stage, I noticed what seemed to be a few small inclusions and possibly a small crack starting. Genuinely concerned, I chased the inclusions with an angle grinder and found the small crack and inclusions were only surface deep. Relieved, I decided to begin the cleanup grinding. During this part, the length of both the blade and tang was fine tuned. The blade length is 38" and the tang is 8" to give an overall length of 46". So far, I have about ten hours logged in for this. There will be more pictures as more progress is made.
A little while back, a good friend asked me to make a saber. The design of the saber was based from combining a Confederate artillery saber with a Spartan sword. After it was finished, he decided he wanted a companion piece for it. He had always been a fan of Jim Bowie. What you see here is the result. The full tang blade was forged out of a leaf spring, and the D guard is brass. The handle scales are slightly charred walnut. The overall length of this knife is 16" with 10 3/4" long blade.