Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'Migration Period'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • General
    • Read before you register
    • Forum News
    • New Board Issues
  • New Work
    • Show and Tell
    • Photography
    • Video and Multimedia
    • Knives For Sale
    • Design and Critique
  • Old Work
    • History
    • Old Masters
    • Library
  • Forge Work
    • Hot Work and Bladesmithing
    • Hot Work
    • Bloomers and Buttons
    • Beginners Place
    • Teacher Directory
  • Forges, Tools, Equipment and Materials
    • Tools and Tool Making
  • Finishing, Tips and Tricks
    • Fit and Finish
    • Sheaths and Leatherwork
    • Carving and Applied Arts
    • Shop Safety
    • Non-Ferrous: fittings, alloys, patinas
  • Heat Treating
    • Metallurgy and other enigmas
    • Heat Treating by Alloy
  • Events
    • Events of Interest
  • Discussion
    • The Way
    • Fiery Beards
    • Books, Videos, and other Media
  • Tailgate Sales
    • Tools, Supplies and Materials
  • Hall of Fame
    • Nominations
    • Show and Tell Hall of Fame
    • WIP/Tutorial Hall of Fame
  • Pinned Topics
    • Pinned Show and Tell
    • Pinned Hot Work Topics
    • Pinned Buttons and Bloomers
    • Pinned Tools and Toolmaking
  • Maker's Mark Registry
    • Maker's Mark Registry
    • Marks to be Identified
  • KITH
    • KITH 2011-2019
    • Christmas KITH 2019
    • KITH 2020

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. Hey all! This is a project that has seen many mutations throughout its life, but now I can say it is finally close to being done. All that is left now is to create a sheath! I forged the blade for this project a few months ago and it sat as a blade blank of 1075 for a month waiting for me to chisel in the letters for an ulfberht. I got tired of looking at it one day so I started grinding it out and then heat treated it the old fashioned way, by stoking it through the fire to normalize and then for quenching. After that I finished the grinding and started the hand polishing. The blade and fuller are straight enough but I'm not super happy with how it turned out. I'll have to give it a better go on the next sword. After the polishing it sat again for a few weeks waiting for the Petesen Type Z fittings that I never forged, mostly because I realized I'd rather see them on a pattern welded sword blade or a cleaner monosteel blade. Jump forward a fe more weeks to yesterday when I realized that I wanted a user sword, and that the blade I had lying around would make a pretty good one. I got a few pieces of copper and some blackwood I had lying around and started planning the fittings, and spent like three hours sawing and filing to get the mouth of the guard to be as tight as possible. I then left the fittings rough shaped by the band saw and clamped with epoxy. This afternoon I went in and realized the epoxy was useless and it fell apart on me as I shaped the guards due to heat. I decided to bite the bullet and just rivet them together and it went much more smoothly from there on out. Afterwards I sanded them to 400 grit and will leave them be to weather on their own through use and time. I planned to make a grip covered in leather with a riser in the middle, but the pieces of black walnut I picked for the core turned out to be quite beautiful and so I left them as is. Then came a lot of sanding, filing, fitting, and riveting, but at the end of it I had a finished sword! I guess what I learned from all of this is to plan as thoroughly as possible, but to let inspiration change your course as many times as it needs to before you are happy with the product. Anyway! What's a thread without some pictures? Here's the blade prior to sharpening and before the fitting of the pommel cap. Right before the peening. I need to get better at judging the material I need, because it is always supper nerve wracking and I always forget to anneal the tip before the actual peening begins, which definitely does not help. A nervous fifteen minutes later I was happy enough with the fit however. I had already spent way too much time at the shop today and so after the peening the next few minutes were a frantic whirl of energy and I didn't get any photos until it was done. I milled the slot inside the pommel cap for the peened tang to sit in as the mill was set up from the last time I used it and it saved me some headache that way The fit at the mouth is pretty good I think, and the patina the copper had from lying around a few years is really beautiful. I can't wait to see the rivets and the sides of the guards begin to turn dark also. Here you can see some of the figuring in the walnut, subtle but beautiful. I think it goes really well with the rest of the sword. A shot in hand. It looks almost like a toy in this picture because of how simple the colors look. I promise it looks and feels better than that and when it starts to age I'm sure it'll look even better! Anyway, hope you guys like it! I know I'm glad to have a new piece to bring back home for spring break and show off to my parents
×
×
  • Create New...