Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'roman'.
Found 4 results
Here is one of my latest 1st Century Roman Centurion Gladii of the Fulham Style. Made to historical measurements and materials. Some is Historically Accurate and portions of it are made / customized to the customization desires of my client. Everything is created by hand right here in my shop. 1075 High Carbon Steel Fully tanged and peened hilt. Inset Brass Guard Plate and Pommel Finial. The guard grip and pommel are hand carved in African Blackwood Ebony. The Grip is hand carved from Italian Olive Wood. The Augustus Capricorn Denarii Coin i created as a replica of a real coin. The Coin and the brass rings in the guard are hand cast in my shop with the lost wax process. This client is a Roman Reenactor who portrays a Centurion. His character is 3rd Generation Roman Legionary whose family has a Celtic background. The story behind the sword is that it was an "Award Sword" that was Awarded to his Grandfather from Caesar Augustus for "Valor on the Battlefield." Thus the inset Augustus Capricorn Coin. The Guard and pommel are hand carved in the style of pieces that are found in the Vindonissa Museum with the "Added" embellishments of the Celtic knots. (Not historically accurate, but customized and personalized for the client). The inset Guard Plate is also engraved for personalization for the client with his Characters Legion Number.
I was interested in doing a 3rd century roman sword. While researching I found out that there was a short sword still in use by then something called a semi-spatha. So far I've read that it was either a broken Spatha reforged or a gladius that's hanged around for longer. But other than that I haven't found any exact details or images on the sword. Thank you in advance for any information.
I've started my fourth project, a Mainz Gladius. I am using 1084 this time and I'm pumped about my introduction into legitimate blade steel. I started with a 24" x 2.5" x .125 piece of steel. I have had to do a lot of compression on this one to get the blade into the right form due to the starting width. I've got to work up the sides to edge them and I'm trying to figure out if I should continue to bring in the width before I form the edges since I'm already at full width and I don't want to add to the length. I could just grind them in, but I just love using the hammer! I'm stoked about this project. It's the sword that initially peaked my interest in making swords in the first place, so I'm taking my time and trying to do this one well. Would love your thoughts and suggestions along the way. To keep the thread load time down I will have more images available here: http://rashystreakers.tumblr.com/tagged/elysium
Here is another commission, this time for a Roman Brazier or, Craticula. This is based off of a find from Roman Pompeii and is thought to have been a brazier used by street vendors who wished to setup wherever there was a crowd. This one has had some of the original dimensions and details of construction changed from the original. It is somewhat larger and the rings are sized to the owners cast-iron pots. Not to mention, the addition of removable legs so that it can be used without having to set it upon a table or the ground. The original used closer to 3/8" round for the grill and their supports but, I opted for 1/2" as the original showed signs of having been bent in use. I would like to thank JJ Simon for the skull tutorial. The original lacked ornamentation but, this was just perfect for the owner of this one. It was fun to work out how to put one on the end of a flat bar. ~Bruce~