Sign in to follow this  
Doug Lester

All good thing come to an end

I don't want to be crying in my beer, but I do want to let people know how things are going with me. I have just lost the 6 year battle to keep my town house. I hope to make a quick sale and find somewhere that will allow me to stay in knife making in some manner but it looks like I have forged my last knife for a while. I hope to be able to post the knives that I have in the works but if I disappear for a while, you will know why. I do intend to be back.

Doug Lester

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck!

The sun will still come up in the morning, and with it will be new possibilities. It ain't over till it's over. Hang in there, Doug. Things will start looking up again soon. Take care.

i am always sorry to hear of anyone having a delay in their pursuit of making fine blades.

but i am sure that it will all come back around sooner or later.. and we will all keep a seat open for you around here,

no matter how long of a absence you might have to take.

... afterall .. they seem to always keep me around .. and i seem to disappear all the damn time .. :lol:

take care.

Hang in there, man! :( And keep track of all your stuff, you WILL use it again.

best of luck to you, and May the LORD guide you to a new and better place

I was in that situation last year when I lost my house.

I lucked out and found a friend near my new apartment who is letting me have half his garage. Rent? Teach him how to make knives.

I also have made friends with shops locally that I could visit.

Good luck on relocation.

Joe Cabaup

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll be starting to disassemble my forge this weekend. I'll photograph that Rube Goldburg contraption and post it for posterity. Things even out, it may make my relocation to central Illinois come off sooner.

Dee, if that's a picture of you that you posted in your avitar, I might have to consider relocating to Australia. However I might want to ask you to consider changing your shade of lipstick. Black lipstick kind'a make me weak in the knees. Glad to see you posting again. How are you coming on getting your knifemaking set up up and working?

Doug Lester

yup, thats me in my avatar.

i figured that i would be sociable and actually post a pic of me in my avatar.. tehehe

i loves my black lip gloss, though it always irritates my mother when she sees me wearing it .. :lol:

actually, my forge just opened its doors again on monday... ive forged out 4 blades so far and am furiously rough grinding and getting all dirty again. :D

tsk, and just when my nails were looking all clean and nice. tehehe

its frustrating when you cant do the art that you are compelled to do, but its a wondrous thing when you can get back to it, let me tell you!

i put it up on my msn that im back to working in the forge and ive been getting a slue of messages supporting my steps forward ever since .. tehehe.

if they would only let up for a minute, i would be able to get back to the workshop :P

so yeah, things are pretty much looking up on this end.

as im sure it will for you very soon.

ya just cant keep a good bladesmith down for long ;)

Posting as a guy who has now set it all aside as well, Doug, I just have to say that is isn't "over" and done (nor have you "quit") until you decide in your mind that you have quit. All of it is just a temporary break until you say to yourself "I quit".... -_-

Even though you are innactive for years (or forever for that matter!) you are only "taking a break" or "waiting for things to improve" until you set your mind that you have quit and end it.

The choice is still yours and you are a knife maker til you decide you aren't anymore.

That said, I send my condolences and the best, brightest smile I can muster.