Sign in to follow this  
Clint

American flag Micarta "Amermicarta ?"

I got some American flags from the boy scouts nextdoor they burn them when there old and made some micarta I thought the 4Th is comming up and it might make some good knife handles these are the first shape on the knives but as you can see in the last pic they might look OK when I'm done I'll post finished pic's after the weekend just thought someone might want to try making some if they liked them my pic's suck but you can see the lines and color in the last one OK

I look forward to seeing what they look like once you finish them. That last picture wher eit's sanded further looks pretty neat.

That damascus with your homemade micarta is quite a nice contrast.

Nice job keeping everything homemade.

I am envious.

Chris

UP- date so got them shaped now time for finial sanding then time to make them shine I'll take them off finish the blades and to do most of the sanding so with all luck these blades will be done this mid-week

Clint, I for one think its very cool but it does raise some questions, The first of which is just cutting up a flag. My first thought was it is a patriotic way to give a old flag an extended life and in a way make it forever but there are many protocols set into place concerning the handling and respect of the American Flag.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/usc...08----000-.html

TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > § 8

§ 8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(B) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

© The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Last night I asked my wife about this concerning a Thai Flag and she about had a heart attack and in no uncertain terms said I could not cut up any Thai Flag and make Flagcarta out of it. However I can get red, white, and blue materials that were never a flag and cut them up into stars or whatever and make Patriotcarta as long as it was never a flag and is in no way a flag, just a colorful knife handle material.

Congratulations on being innovative with the making of your handle materials as thats a good thing. Recently I tried to make some round handle by taking a piece round pipe and stuffing it with soaked materials. I thought if I used vasoline on the inside of the pipe and a c clamp that it would pop out when it dried. Today the pipe which remains stuffed lays on a shelf after being taken to the machine shop where I tried to press it out with a huge hand crank hydraulic press and finally gave up as it just crushed the surface and failed to budge with extreme and dangerous pressures being applied to it. Like many things the Flagcarta comes down to intentions and I see your intention as patriotic but will not be cutting up any flags myself anytime soon.

these flags where picked up off the ground after the illegal mexicans stepped all over them at there last protest by a group of boy scouts they where tore up and treated like shit so I figgered that this would be a good way to make them have pride again I would die for that flag and have fought for it ,there is no disrespect about it only honor after all that flag has gone threw I'm sure making some knife handles out of some that where shit on and stepped on wont hurt it.

so as long as I respect it and honor it I don't think I'm doing it any harm I know you could say well the book says this but hell the kid don't even have to stand up in class anymore when saying the pleage so I think there a lot more to talk about when it come to the flag But I know some people would not understand my way of thinking and they might not buy my knifes but I have 4 people who want one as of today and that was just at one rodeo payed orders so it cant be all wrong

these flags where picked up off the ground after the illegal mexicans stepped all over them at there last protest by a group of boy scouts they where tore up and treated like shit so I figgered that this would be a good way to make them have pride again I would die for that flag and have fought for it ,there is no disrespect about it only honor after all that flag has gone threw I'm sure making some knife handles out of some that where shit on and stepped on wont hurt it.

so as long as I respect it and honor it I don't think I'm doing it any harm I know you could say well the book says this but hell the kid don't even have to stand up in class anymore when saying the pleage so I think there a lot more to talk about when it come to the flag But I know some people would not understand my way of thinking and they might not buy my knifes but I have 4 people who want one as of today and that was just at one rodeo payed orders so it cant be all wrong

Clint, Thanks for the back story on the flags, I know exactly where your coming from regarding people talking a good game about being American and all that. No comment about what my reaction would be to individuals putting their feet on the American flag as I do not want to break any forum rules by using strong language, pm incoming.

If anything i'd classify this as a dignified form of "destruction."

Take something old and meaningful and turn it into something useful and new and meaningful.

If anything i'd classify this as a dignified form of "destruction."

Take something old and meaningful and turn it into something useful and new and meaningful.

so the last of the knives of flag grips sorry if i hurt some feeling but they all sold as fast as i made them next time i just make red,white,blue cloth for grips even thogh i don,t think i did anything wrong with what i did

Clint, Thank you for sending me the PMs with more details of the story about your Flagcarta. I for one appreciate that you documented the story of a few flags forever by making them into knives handles. Your idea was very innovative and patriotic, in other words you had very good motivation for what you did concerning said flags.

I for one would like to see one of them at the Smithsonian or even all the knives you made out of the flags regrouped and displayed at one of the major modern art museums but that is just way to politically incorrect in todays climate. Thanks for telling the story and posting the pictures, you did good.

so the last of the knives of flag grips sorry if i hurt some feeling but they all sold as fast as i made them next time i just make red,white,blue cloth for grips even thogh i don,t think i did anything wrong with what i did

...on the contrary i'm absolutely enthusiastic about what you've done with these flags! I apologize if my post came off as condescending or in any way negative.

If i ever come across any old flags this is surely what i'm going to do with them.

(unfortunately the closest thing i can get to that right now is some bright red micarta i'm putting together for a fireman's knife.)

I see no disrespect to the flags. One idea, they sell cloth at Handcock's fabric that has a flag motif. If you stack it so that a star appears all the way through and then maybe red and white lines, the pattern would show after they are shaped. I am thinking of a blue butt of the handle with a star or part of a star showing with maybe some thin red and blue lines at a diagonal leading to the blade.

Nice knives, neat idea. Certainly shows more respect than they were previously shown.

A document showing the journey these flags made should accompany these knives as provenance.

Edited by L Murdock

Think of it as a working retirement for your flags.

Argh, It makes me want to scream when i see people flying the union jack upside-down, as if it doesn't matter...

Nice knives, by the way...

Thought i'd let you know, this thread inspired me to try some micarta on a commission knife for a fireman out of some red fabric i had...

I'll post pictures once i get them up. All i've got now is a slab of plasticized fabric. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Clint, This is ALL YOUR FAULT! :lol:

Well I just put my first attempt at "blue jean" micarta in the press. This has been a real learning experience. I bought a couple of pair of jeans at a church rummage sale Saturday. I used the wife's rotary cutter and cutting board to cut my pieces 2" x 11". This morning I got everything together for the first attempt. First the instructions on the Elmer's fiberglass resin can says to mix in a plastic cup. I had some extra plastic cups. Unfortunately they must be the wrong kind, the resin began to disolve the cup about half way through my stacking process. :o I had another of the same cups near and just put the first cup down into the second to try and buy time. By the way, :angry: the temp outside was 75 degrees. 15 minutes working time was optimistic, that stuff sets up fast! :blink: I managed to get all but 5 layers in place before the resin was unspreadable. I wrapped the stack up in waxed paper and put it between two boards and placed it all in my paper press (3 ton). We will see how it comes out in a few days. Next time I will use fewer drops of hardener to try to extend the working time. My next attempt has to be better. :rolleyes:

I've been using the bondo, my method of late has been 10 drops per ounce for hardener. The working time has been plenty to get all 18 layers done up. With the temps raising I might have to do a few less drops. 8 or 9 perhaps.

Once it starts setting up it can definitely put out some heat.

I've been using plastic bottles from orange juice as we've got those piling up quick and they're a decent size, we had one that had some extra resin in it one time and it sure started to deform.

Coffee cans work real well too if you drink enough and buy it in a can.

Then again when I've been mixing up my resin I'm doing about...think it was 40 ounces...lots of drops to count though.

Getting a list together for another fabric order. Various styles I wanna try.

Clint, This is ALL YOUR FAULT! :lol:

Well I just put my first attempt at "blue jean" micarta in the press. This has been a real learning experience. I bought a couple of pair of jeans at a church rummage sale Saturday. I used the wife's rotary cutter and cutting board to cut my pieces 2" x 11". This morning I got everything together for the first attempt. First the instructions on the Elmer's fiberglass resin can says to mix in a plastic cup. I had some extra plastic cups. Unfortunately they must be the wrong kind, the resin began to disolve the cup about half way through my stacking process. :o I had another of the same cups near and just put the first cup down into the second to try and buy time. By the way, :angry: the temp outside was 75 degrees. 15 minutes working time was optimistic, that stuff sets up fast! :blink: I managed to get all but 5 layers in place before the resin was unspreadable. I wrapped the stack up in waxed paper and put it between two boards and placed it all in my paper press (3 ton). We will see how it comes out in a few days. Next time I will use fewer drops of hardener to try to extend the working time. My next attempt has to be better. :rolleyes:

Sorry there L murdock- My first try the resin started getting hard at 17 layers but started fast got it done the next time I just poored half can of resin into a old one gal. milk jug cut the top off all but the handle and put just under half of the hardener in it and that gave me lots of work time made 25 layers and still had some left over "a little" I'm gonna make a better vice set up than just the clamps for the next one with the clamps it easy to get the micarta uneven I want to make a big block so I could cut off slabs as needed maybe sell some on the side just need to put my mined into it and do it maybe this week glad to see I helped get someone to do something ! I hear ITS MY FALT ALOT "the wife HA HA "

Here is a picture of my paper press (I occasionally make hand-laid paper). The top and bottom are made from a 2x12 with a piece of 3/8 plywood glued to them. The braces are 1/2" threaded rod. There is a piece of 1/4 plate steel attached to the underside of the top for the jack to press against. The jack is a 3 ton bottle jack. The micarta was wrapped in waxed paper and placed between two 1x4s 12 inches long.

Isn't it amazing how little it takes to keep an old man entertained!

Picture_001.jpg

Mine is fairly simple as well, it's two slabs of granite and a pile of C clamps =]

micarta.jpg

Just finished the final shaping of the handle of a pair of these knives i'm putting together for a commission, and this is my first micarta. I have one question however, how does one go about finishing the micarta? Do I need to put a coating on it like a varnish of some sort or do i just give it a good buffing and slap 'er in a sheath?

micarta.jpg

Just finished the final shaping of the handle of a pair of these knives i'm putting together for a commission, and this is my first micarta. I have one question however, how does one go about finishing the micarta? Do I need to put a coating on it like a varnish of some sort or do i just give it a good buffing and slap 'er in a sheath?

Bibble

some say super glue I found that it makes it a lot darker I just sand it to 1000-1500-2000 then buff it it comes out nice the more you sand it the shiner it comes out I used both super glue and sanding and found that I like sanding better

O YA nice job thats nice the way you got it thin at the lower front end of the knife lets see the whole knife I just did some red and black and purple we'll see how it came out tomorrow also just did my best cable knife tonight I like it so let see that knife when your done

Clint

Edited by Clint

Bibble

some say super glue I found that it makes it a lot darker I just sand it to 1000-1500-2000 then buff it it comes out nice the more you sand it the shiner it comes out I used both super glue and sanding and found that I like sanding better

O YA nice job thats nice the way you got it thin at the lower front end of the knife lets see the whole knife I just did some red and black and purple we'll see how it came out tomorrow also just did my best cable knife tonight I like it so let see that knife when your done

Clint

will do.

I'll usually rub a coat of oil or so onto mine, it'll darken a slight bit

I tend to sand mine up fairly fine grit so that helps as well.