Would appreciate any pros and cons on the various heat treating ovens from those that have them. The more I get into the aspects of this craft the more I appreciate the merits of a controllable heat source in order to get the most from the steel you use. I have been to the sites for Paragon and Evenheat and have read the info there but would appreciate input from those that use those or others.

Thanks

Jerry Fisher

Jerry,

I have a paragon knifemakers oven, computer controlled. The chamber is about 24" long and about 5" X 5" square at the opening. Nice piece of equipment.

Hi Jerry,

I have the smallest of the paragons (8.5" x 4.5" x 9" chamber). Of course, I am only doing smallish knife-like things with it. Someday, when I migrate to the longer stuff, I would look at the 24-incher. The one I have is a 120V/20A unit, and at full-ramp, hits 1550F in ~25mins. The controller is real easy to use with programmable ramp rates and set points (I think it's 4 ramp-hold segments per firing). I don't know about Evenheat, but the controllers do not appear to have enough buttons for complex operation--someone know diff??

Just FYI, trying to soak for 5-12mins at temps >1000F (with full-ramp) is a bit dicey. The overshoot from set-point is only ~5-10F, but on rebound it can drop 50-65F before stumbling back to set-point. This might be an issue if I tried doing high-alloy or stainless. Drawing at 750F (1500F/hr ramp) doesn't have any over/undershoot. (Naturally, YMMV).

I cannot go from quenching straight to tempering in my oven. The oven don't cool down fast enough, and forced-cooling would be bad for the unit--I use my kitchen stove for the first temper cycle.

Another thing, I seem to fight a fair amount of de-carb (anybody else?), even using carbon-loaded satanite "clay." The paragon guys do sell a reduction-firing kit (for running inert gas in the furnace), but it will supposedly shorten the life of the elements...so I haven't tried that route.

Last thing, the outside metal of the unit gets way too hot to touch when doing a normalizing or austenitizing heat--don't want flammables too close to it.

Thanks,

Brian K.

Thsnks Brian,

That was just the kind of info I was looking for.

Mark, thank for the heads up, looks like he has the Evenheat. I will have to give him a ring and see what he has to say.

Jerry Fisher