Favorite quotes

joz

I thought it might be fun to start a thread for some of our favorite quotes. I'll kick it off with one from "The Zen of Kenpo".

"Condition and guts take over where knowledge and skill end." Ed Parker

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." Confucius

"Some days you are the bug; some days you are the windshield."

Chuck Burrows

Wild Rose Trading Co

chuck@wrtcleather.com

www.wrtcleather.com

"All great truths are soaked in blood". I got this from Keith Larman (one of my sword polisher friends). It is from one of the famous philosophers of the last century (or maybe the 19th even), though I do not remember which one.

My personal favorite is "Any man who would trade liberty for a little temporary security is worthy of neither liberty nor security" Benjamin Franklin

I find this particularly appropriate in the time in which we find ourselves now, and all the "homeland security" stuff we are presently giving away personal liberties for. Makes me real nervous because so many think it is just fine.

"Whenever you do something, do it as a piece of art. Otherwise just don't do it. Let everything express the creativity of you." Yogi Bhajan  [notworthy]

"It is better to regret something you *have* done than to regret something you *haven't* done..."

-B*hole Surfers ( Sorry, I can't change the name! )

Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin: "The way to be safe is never to be secure."

Thomas Jefferson: "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear…"

Robert Heinlein:  "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Robert Heinlein: "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!"

"The lunatic is on the grass

The lunatic is on the grass

Remembering games and the daisy chains and laughs

Got to keep the loonies on the path" P. Floyd

"Done is better"

-read in a treehouse building book recently.

"There's nothing common about common sense"

-Steven Barnes, my Tai Chi instructor.

"I'll go let him out"

-my 4 year-old daughter's  response when I asked where her little brother was.

--

Russell Barr

"Those who pound their swords into plow shares will soon be plowing for others." Ben Franklin(?)

"The tree of liberty must from time to time be fed with the blood of patriots" Thomas Jefferson (?)

"Fart proudly" Benjamin Franklin

"The compulsion to take ourselves seriously is in inverse proportion to our creative capacity. When the creative flow dries up, all we have left is our importance." - Eric Hoffer

Regulate the flux and re-flux now get it on...

Rob Zombie

A couple of bumper stickers,

"Not all who wander are lost."

"Completely lost, but making really good time."

"Never trust a man in a blue trench coat,

never drive a car when you're dead."

Tom Waits, Telephone Call From Istanbul

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

"Not all who wander are lost."

That's from Lord of the Ring.

JD

"Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: You've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to improve." -- Alan J. Perlis

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them." -- Albert Einstein

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference, but in practice there is." -- Craig A. Finseth

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid." -- Mark Twain

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

and for the expert in training:

"That particular mistake will not be repeated. There are plenty of mistakes left that have not yet been used." - Andy Tanenbaum

Don't know who to attribute this to, but it's a keeper:

"If you can't find anything good to say, perhaps it's because you're surrounded by a**h****."

And finally, "You can't save a fish from water."

-- Dwight

oooh such a good thread. i have so many of these collected.

(it was one of my intentions to put together a book of them accompanied by some of my shotty at best artwork :))  this is one of my favorites that come to mind.

Now the moon goes down,

Slowly through the forests shadows,

Drift and dissappear.

~~~Buson

i cant explain it, but this poem speaks more to me than it says.

..and this one is all i need sometimes to keep myself grounded.

"I threw my cup away

when i saw a child

drinking from his

hands at the trough."

~~~Diogenes

this one springs to mind when thinking of autumn for some reason...

"Winter well:

A bucketfull

Of starlight."

~~~Horiuchi Toshimi

for those loking forward to impending winter months..

"Glittering flakes,

The wind is breaking

Frozen moonlight."

~~~Horiuchi Toshimi

and last but not least,

"Dont eat the yellow snow."

Zappa Frank

i'll stop now.

Brent

pacesetter_1@hotmail.com