If your lathe is old - Overhaul it ;)

DGentile

Well, after finishing teaching a week-long class on friday I spent the weekend and today with overhauling/reworking my old southbend (9) lathe...

precision was a tad off (I use it for stuff down to 1/100th of a mm (0.0039 inch), there was some play in a few parts... the paint job was pitiable and the table it was mounted on was giving way after three years...

Besides this, there were a few modification I long since wanted to make, such as moving the powe-switch & direction-switch from behind the jaw-chuck on the motor to the front of the machine... the way it was located was rather awkward and I had a few injuries from it, as switching of the lathe or changing direction required to move my arm over the rotating chuck towards the handle of the switch.

that's how it did look:

301711934_Qjv8e-L.jpg

and that's how it looks now:

New heavy steel machine stand, front power/directional switch, precision accurate again and last but not least a new 2k-epoxy paint job.

301722198_SDQuZ-L.jpg

as I had to disassemble it compeltely anyways to get it painted I cleaned it up on the inside as well...

to see more photos:

http://www.dgentile.com/gallery/5024902_pA...301722198_SDQuZ

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

Very cool. Random fact of the day: your lathe was made where I live, South Bend, Indiana. Small world.

nice one ;)

It was imported by a relative of our landlord while back in time... it's one of the metric versions they've made.

When the guy died the landlord had not much use for it and it was condemned to sit on a bench unused for many years... until approx. 3 years ago when I happened to see it in his storage / office nextdoors... and asked him whether I could use it, as I needed to turn something real quick... he goes like "You can turn??"... long story short: he could not use the machine but needed some parts done, and I asked him if I could buy the lathe for a fair price, and he said I could have it, if I do a few pieces for him and weld a chair (repairs)... so that's how a Lathe from Indiana ended up in my shop in zurich.

it has seen a lot of work over the three years I've had it in my possession... Crafty little tool, quite sturdy.

But of recent, it had a few quibbles... I think mostly due to the fact, that the old table (wood) it was mounted on was starting to get bent in the middle...

also it was pretty dirty...

I've used it a little today, just some test pieces and I'm very satisfied again...

it was well worth the three day's effort and roughly 90$ in paint (2k-epoxy paint is as tough as it gets and fast drying... but expensive).

The rest of the stuff (Steel for the table, electrical stuff) was all leftovers from various other projects...

so 2.5 days of work, 90$ and some scrap steel used ;)

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

Hi Dan,

did you see the thread over on Practical Machinist on restoring nines? There is a real marathon one there stretching over years.

I know that you like to test out various solutions and will trypretty large projects so you might enjoy a concrete base as refered to in post 48.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showt...8005&page=3

I have three of these lathes and a Heavy 10.

Dgentile

Nice restore, looks really well done. I also like your stand much better than the wood one you were using. You should make a removable chip tray, bet you could easily make one to slide in your new stand.

Lookin good, I really need to do this to a new to me but old 50's era doall metal cutting bandsaw.

Chris

Chris Williams