Sign in to follow this  
Sam Salvati

My sword Hammer

Here is some shots of the simple chiselwork I managed to get done today on probably my last working day in the shop (plus the 15 or so hammers I managed to get done over the weekend), I named and marked my sword. Sorry Mr Wheeler, no phallic or compensation thing goin' on here, I don't call my wang Hammer or anything like that either :D . It's going to be my sword so I thought it appropriate to give it a fitting name, it will be a *bit* on heavy side, well balanced but still a heavy hitter so the name Hammer came to mind. Comments and critique welcome.

l_b5d5360bb00e64d4143569589a36d2a1.jpg

Edited by Sam Salvati

nice, straight forward. no runes o decipher. and a fitting name for that beast. :D

Sam,

No wonder you never finish anything you don't know the difference between a hammer and a blade. :lol:

Seriously That's some mighty fine chisel work very even.

Lookin' good so far!

And now that you don't have a hot shop for a while, maybe you can get some finish work done, eh? ;) I know, I should talk... :rolleyes::lol:

Hey Sam. I like that little introspection. The first step is admitting you have a problem. :wacko:

I like the philosophy behind this sword, the size / weight, the name. I'd really like to see it left in a hammered finish to round out that spirit. It's fitting.

nice, straight forward. no runes o decipher. and a fitting name for that beast. :D

Well, no runes to decipher if you speak/read english :D !

Thanks guys, getting there with this one. The chiselwork is a bit rougher than it looks, but I found out that doing the word before lightly, then heating the blade to mark them deeper was the best way to have them evenly and correctly spaced, it helped TONS. Trying to position and layout the letters while the welding glove you are wearing to hold the chisel is practically in flames....not fun, well sorta hehe :). The treadle helped out WORLDS too, i love that thing for this type of work.

Alan, that is just what I plan to do, I just have to work out how to get all the blades I have laying around heat treated (you know what THAT'S like) then can get working on the details for hilts and all that.

Bren, it will be that was the original idea from the start, hopefully HAMMER will stay darkened along with my mark, but the rest will have that polished hammer finish look, not sure if I want to replicate or continue the theme on the guard and pommel also though. The contrast would be interesting with polished hilt parts and the hammer finish blade, all hammer finish might be overdoing it.

Mr McKenzie it was the single hander sword I posted awhile back.

m_3ea85c21624495bbd9a5230f0c774f5b.jpg

... (plus the 15 or so hammers I managed to get done over the weekend) ...

What kind of hammers you been working on?