Sign in to follow this  
Joe Renner

Mushrooms & Lizards  oh my!

I was starting to think you had really strange tastes in soup...

Guest Tai
I've heard lizzards are actually quite good.

Do NOT eat those mushrooms. The picture is not clear enough in terms of the features of the species to be absolutely sure, but eating them without POSITIVE ID is foolish and results in death for some people all around the world every year. Normally very few, but all preventable.

Mushrooms are my hobby for fun only, no work involved. There are many delicious edibles that most people do not know about, but there are also several that can make you dead pretty easily, and this could be one such species.

More pictures of several individuals (showing little ones, and medium ones, and then looking at mature specimens, and also from the underside, showing the stem and veil, and I might be able to ID it. Geographical location is also helpful.

Cool Howard, a fellow micologist! I don't meet many people who are also interested in mushrooms. I was looking at those and thinking they might be related to Amanita but like you said until they fruiting body opens up it's really difficult to tell.

You guys have reminded me that it's now mushroom season. Amanita muscaria is very common down here and eating them would be a sure ticket to the afterlife! (and a very painful trip at that!)

I like studying mushrooms because they are so mysterious, appearing overnight out of nowhere all pale and spooky. The kids hate it when the stinkhorns or lady's fingers crop up in the yard! I am still endlessly fascinated by Fairy rings also even though I know it's just how the spores spread from the round cap.

I thought Amanita muscaria was eaten by some siberian tribe or such and then they urinated into cups and then the whole tribe would get high off the mushrooms.  Isnt it called fly agaric or something like that? Anyhoo...............  I'll just take a Killian's.

I get tons of chantarelles in my woods.  Yum!

no no no  I'm not eating these mushrooms.  

I was interested in their texture! I'm a portabella man!

They SURE do grow fast that evening nothing, then in the morning they were there!

funny how easy it is to get into a routine, Now the whole family looks for the darn lizard!  He too has grown fast!

There is a species that does glow in the dark (Omphalotus olearius, common name "Jack-O-Lantern"), and you definitely do not want to eat them. They won't kill you, but you will be very unhappy for a couple of days.

Amanita muscaria has been used by some cultures as a vision inducing hallucinogen. Most contemporary mycologists state the opinion that the north american variant is merely toxic, and not hallucinogenic. I do not know, I have never tried them. Don't really intend to either. There are several species of mushrooms in several different genus that are quite toxic, and a couple of them cause total liver failure in only a few hours. If you eat them, you die, period, there is no medical treatment that can save you. Most poisonous mushrooms merely make you wish you could die, but there are a few that will actually get you there.

The ones in the picture appear to be young amanitas to me too, Guy, but there is not enough info to be sure, as you said.

The lizard is cute, if you like reptiles, I suppose.

We have an enormous number of crickets this year, and snakes have also done well this summer due to the huge numbers of crickets and grasshoppers. Birds did ok too, for the same reasons.

I'm bettin' that somewhere there is a lizard that is having one *####* of a dream!  [ylsuper]

...that or he's pukin' his guts up.  [tapedshut]

:cool:

Brian

Many, many years ago while I was in boot camp at Fort Knox, Ky I had the honor of watch at night.  While walking around with my unloaded M16 I saw a glow on the ground and now I know what it was.  At the time I thought it was some type of residue from some military experiment gone wrong.  Fungi, had I only known.

now I thought someone was going to say

"They were magic mushrooms" !

Brian,  I got the package.  Thanx so much

Rik

I've seen the glowing fungi.  Cool stuff.  I have a bit of a glow-in-the-dark fascination since it's the closest thing to condensed moonlight there is, and I really love the moon.

Had an amanita pantheria that was growing in my woods once.  Smelled everything I looked at.  Weird.   [wtf]

:P

She's fierce & pretty, like a valkyrie!

I wouldn't mess with her...