Vertical forge body question

Jeff Mack

I was given an old steel scuba tank the other day. It's about 6 1/2" in outer diameter. I've been wanting to see how different the vertical style forge works than my horizontal. Counting the wall thickness and one layer of ceramic wool liner, I figure I'd be left with about 4" inner diameter. Is that too small for a vertical tube forge?

Thanks!

Jeff

I have a small one like that it was designed for doing small knives and tools and uses an atmo burner. I can't say don't do it, the working area is fine, it is more a mater of your burner size and oxy mix. My guess is that the main advantage of following a recipee is that you don't have to figure out these issues for yourself.

I think it will work, but your tank surface may get pretty hot. I use an 8 inch ID tank and 2 wraps of Kaowool, plus satanite and ITC100. The outer surface of the tank gets warm to the touch, particularly around the doors. I'd try it, if it works the way you want, you are golden, if not, it still will be good for small stuff, and you can use the experience to bulid a slightly larger one.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver