Sign in to follow this  
Andy Davis

my most recent work - the Cawood Sword

Hey guys!

AT LAST!!!.... we are done with our long hibernation and back in the shop workin away with a vengeance!

life has been crazy... we really had no choice but to take a long break because of winter, school, finals, family, friends, girlfriends, senior graduation, open houses, and all the rest. but summer is FINALLY here and we are going to make this summer a defining one for MAD because we don't know what the future holds for the shop after this summer once the real world hits again with the oncoming of college and such, we are going to do our best to keep things alive during college but either way this summer is going to be productive, positive, and fun no matter what!... :)

and here's just a start of what's to come. a new one from me, the Cawood sword...

cawood1og8.jpg

cawood2ih6.jpg

cawood3ws5.jpg

This is technically my first LARGE sword. And I am really happy with the outcome.

This is actually an attempt at a representation you might say of a true historic sword that was found in the late 19th Century in the River Ouse near Cawood Castle which was an ancient Viking Lord's stronghold in North Yorkshire. Its become a quite famous sword in the news recently and I fell in love with the shape design and mystery surrounding it, so I had to try my hand at recreating it in a respectful way as best I could.

here are a few cool articles that talk about the original sword in more detail:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/conten...d_feature.shtml

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/yorknews/d...iking_sword.php

http://www.yorkshiremuseum.org.uk/Page/Vie...px?ArticleId=10

trying to stay true to the exact original shape was quite a challenge. Despite my researching I could not find exact measurements of the sword, so I took reference from some comparisons of it being held by people. Now comparing it to the original now I know that the pommel is a bit smaller and not as curved than the original, and the crossbar on mine might be a bit larger than the originals. The original also has a set of Latin letters down the length of its fullers which I did not attempt. I wanted it to look exact but hey, its always a learning process I guess and I am content and pleased with it anyway.

I actually began forging it with the intention of selling it to a willing interested buyer. but of coarse... in the end this is my first true large sword. And I have heard to many times of guys forging their first, selling it and then regretting forever for letting it go. I don't want to end up feeling like that so I have no choice... ;)

Plus this is a design I love so much that I think I might actually try again in the distant future. but then put a lot more time effort and detail into the piece, maybe with a simple pattern welded blade, exotic wood handle with matching scabbard, and the historic letters down the length of the fullers.

So this is just a start!

Dave and I finally got our hands on some Admiral L6 and 1075, so from here on out we have some sweet damascus blades planned.

AAANNNNDDDD!!!!!!

in other news, our new and improved website is FINALLY up!!!!!!! :)

http://maddwarfworkshop.com/index.htm

David put a LOT of time effort and thought into the entire site, so please check it out and let him know what you think!

there is still a lot to add to it but then again the summer is just off to a start.

We need to get the forums back to life again!.. this place has been DEAD!!!!... come on people!!.. hahaha ;)

thanks for viewing!

keep the forge afire,

Andy D.

M A D

That looks quite good Andy, considering the technical difficulties with accessing data concerning the sword I think you did a pretty good job of staying true to form unlike it happened with the gladius.

I look forward to what the summer will bring with anticipation.

Regards

Very impressive Andy. You guys do have a great finished product.

Good looking website as well, tell David good work.

Excellent work! You guys have come a long way in such a short time. :)

Fantastic sword.

I think most vikings would have been proud to wield something like that.

Can't wait to see more!

I love that blade. The guard is just awesome.

We are going to have to have a junior smith hammer-in sometime.

Mike Lambiase

This is awesome!

And considering your age, and when you started putting your shop up.... this is stunning.

You make great progress, and I am really looking forward to your next blades. Have a nice and productive summer over there,

Mat

come on ! come on, men !!!

great work ! congrats !!

I am impressed. Well done.

you've come a long way in a short time, that is one nice sword!!!

Andy, that sword rocks! Great work and research. I never would have thought that historically that guard would have gone with that sword and pommel but sure enough it does. Can't wait to see what else comes out of your shop this summer.

AWESOME!!!! :D

Seriously nice work, man. I'd be proud of it too. B)

Andy, you've worked hard on this piece and it shows. I'm very impressed! Quite the piece to be proud of!

B)

Nicely done, Andy!

I'm Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you start pattern welding!

Very nice work. Like everyone elsa has said can not wait and see what you bring out this summer. nice job

That is what I said; stay on the plan.

Verry good work I am impressed, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Edited by Ulrich Hennicke

Hey guys, Andy had to leave this morning with his family to northern Wisconsin for a couple days for family visit time.

But I am POSITIVE that the second he sees your awesome encouraging kind words about his work he will be overwhelmed and honored!!!!... :)

Seriously, he put a lot of work into it and kind words coming from you guys who actually understand what you looking at and know the work needed tp produce a piece like this... he will need one hell of an ego lowering!!!... Hahaha :D and luckily he's got a Cynical brother of the forge like my self to kick him back to reality... ;) hahaha

No but really, it means a ton to the both of us and we really appreciate it more than we can express!

Thank ALL of you guys so much!

God Bless

Nice work is an understatement, keep at it guys no matter what it takes!

double spiffy points from me :)