Ted Banning

How to make a Magic Sword?

Ted this has been one of the coolest threads I've read here.......

First, I wished I had had a father as cool as you.......I'm sure your son is very proud of you even though he may not be able to evpress it in the words of an adult yet,I'm sure he convays to his friends how cool his father is.......for me the magic is the combinations of differant cultures which have at the same time been the good guys or the bad guys depending on the time and place and which side of the fence you are standing on .........Kind of like your philosophy of "swear there ain't no heven and pray there ain't no hell" .........all the bases are covered.......

Thanks for sharing the fun

Dick

This was a really awesome project and I am wondering what your son thinks about his Magick sword? What you did here is actually something I have been wanting to do since my son was born 7 years ago. I have wanted to learn to smith since I was in Junior High School. I have always had a fascination with swords, knives and pretty much anything pointy and sharp. I would like to say that you made a beautiful blade there and hope that your son realizes how lucky he is to have someone that would think so much of him to do something like that. What is the absolute finished product looking like now?

Well the sword had to go on the back-burner while I recovered from surgery on my: knee, hand, and....prostate. Then I had to build a power hammer to make some money wherein I mangled my hand when a four inch grinder wheel exploded . Before that could heal I had to make a robot gripper so I could work at the forge for my demo in Pittsburgh for the very nice group up there, PAABA.net. Now that my hand injury (maceration) has almost closed I should be able to get back to it. What's left is to smooth out the Ti hilt & anodize in diet pepsi, then mount all those gemstones with silver settings on the grip. Finally I need to carve a sheath , cover it in this cool snake skin I got at SOFA, and make NS fittings for it. I have a little bit of the original billet left and was considering making a spear or maybe a small companion knife ala the Kukri that would also fit in the sheath.

We still sword fight often (with my left hand) and since I can't go down on my knees yet my boy adopted this fighting style where he fights jumping from chair to couch to chair like Zorro...it's hilarious!

What with the collapse of Civilization and all, by the time Walter is a young adult he'll probably have to wear the sword on one hip and a 45 on the other just to get the mail! ;)

why, may i ask, do you use diet pepsi? is it the acidity, or just the color it gives? or just because pepsi's better? :lol:

its the phosphates in it you can use most brown pops maybe even clear pops as well or just some good old tsp

I did a series of test strips and experimented ; 27v (3 9v batteries) for about 20 minutes gave me the oft-desired Vermillion hue. Surface prep was super-important ; coarse and rough satin looked like hell. I sanded the successful ones to 220 grit then hit them with the scotch-brite wheel, then went to the maroon scotch-brite hand pad to even out the finish. Saaa- weeet!

I saw that sword and my jaw hit the floor, this is by -far- the coolest topic I have ever seen on here, especially because this is a -great- way to bond with your son.

Hope you're doing better Ted!

I got to play with this at our hammer in the last few days. It is even cooler in person. Ted and company do some outstanding work. They proove on the daily how much fun they have doing it. Inspiring!

Edited by Matt Stagmer

amazing ted...while sword is cool(by any standard) can you post some pics of that metal dulicmer you made with the sitar dronestring ? ppppplease....??? lol young walter is a blessed soul with you as a poppa bro...

Hey Ted one of your air hammers is in this months blade if i am not mistaken i would scan it for you but i didnt buy it.

~~DJ

PS Amazing Sword!

Wow we just got back from the Grand Canyon, Wow! So much Vertigo! So much Iron bearing rock! So much silver jewelry for sale, I picked up a bunch and am in a good position for the final...push...to...encrustation! BTW , yes, that was one of my hammers in Blade...no doubt checks will start flowing in again...ha ha ha damned recession ;(

if your still looking for rune ideas, valtonia.com seems to be pretty on the mark with their rune converter. very helpful and if nothing else they look pretty damn cool. lets see some finished pics!!!

seriously, this thing is cool as all get out. i always wanted to do some crazy project like this made of all kinds of fun stuff (of course, i might want to get where i can weld 1018 to 1018 first) and that is just awesome. to everyone saying "pick a magic"... canonical magic is a modern invention. the reason humans survived this long, magically or otherwise, is because whenever someone saw a good idea they stole it and ran with it. don't knock intercultural mixins til after you've had a sundried tomato and asiago wonton soup.

good onya man, way to get the kiddie involved too :)

Edited by omalley