Aussiesmith

Concrete reinforcing wire/cable - what type of steel?

I got my hands on a pretty much unlimited supply of concrete tensioning wire. It is from building sites with big concrete slabs. They pour the concrete and then put massive amounts of tension on the cable running through it. My brother saw one snap and rip a set concrete slab in half. The stuff looks to be about 12-15mm and is made up of about six large strands.

So here's the questions.

1. What type of steel is it? (will it harden/form hamon?)

2. Has anyone made anything out of it?

3. Tips for welding/folding/stacking this type of steel.

Thanks,

Conny.

If its the stuff i'm thinking of, its galvanized. Not worth the trouble when one can scrounging some 3/4 to 1" carbon steel cable if you keep your eyes open.

If its the stuff i'm thinking of, its galvanized. Not worth the trouble when one can scrounging some 3/4 to 1" carbon steel cable if you keep your eyes open.

It's definitely not gal. It's got rust on it already and it looks near new. There are seven threds of wire. Any way of telling the carbon content. I just want to know what sort of blade this stuff will make and what sort of pattern I might get.

I'm forging today anyway so I'll post the results.

It's definitely not gal. It's got rust on it already and it looks near new. There are seven threds of wire. Any way of telling the carbon content. I just want to know what sort of blade this stuff will make and what sort of pattern I might get.

I'm forging today anyway so I'll post the results.

gday mate ,i know the gear you are talking about ,their is a bladesmith who lives up north queensland who uses this steel and his blades are awsome mountain man style.you are lucky to have acess to it ,ill take some iff ya have to much ?? :D were you live mate :D

john

A simple quench test will tell you a lot, after it's quenched put it in a vise and hit it with a hammer, if it breaks like glass it's high carbon.

Bruce Godlesky at Bird Dog Forge (Western Pa.) got some of the same stuff. He found the manufacturer and, if I'm remembering right, it is 10xx at 0.86% C. You could find Bruce at either BF or KN to verify.

Also, 86 points of carbon is very common in high carbon wire for high tensile- strength wire rope... like crane lift lines. Over that amount of carbon causes brittleness, so it is about as much carbon as a person will find in wire rope... would be called "extra extra improved plow steel". The "triple-extra improved plow strength" a person sees uses the same carbon-content wire as double-extra much of the time. Some times it has small amounts of other alloys for higher tensile-strength, but much of it is swaged (either entire rope or wires swaged then entire rope swaged),.. that is more steel (less air) for the diameter... higher tensile-strength for the diameter.

Mike