Sade McCraw

Wood Finish

Hello all, I was wondering if there would be a kind and generous soul, or maybe even several souls who would be willing to share a recipe for finishing a wooden knife handle. I'm working with a piece of Bocote and it definitely seems to be the kind of wood that could use a sealer and finish. I also just completed a camp knife with an African blackwood handle. Now it doesn't seem to need anything, but I just want to make sure. Thank you very much.

I just realized that I placed this topic under the wrong category, please forgive me, and thank you for your patience.

Hi Sade,

I've had great success using Waterlox Tung oil finish. It applies easily,

builds a good coat in 2 or 3 applications, and if it gets marred or scratched

it re-coats very well. Altogether, good stuff.

Bill

Hi Sade,

I've had great success using Waterlox Tung oil finish. It applies easily,

builds a good coat in 2 or 3 applications, and if it gets marred or scratched

it re-coats very well. Altogether, good stuff.

Bill

Hello Bill, thanks a lot, that's great. Is Waterlox a brand name?

Hello Bill, thanks a lot, that's great. Is Waterlox a brand name?

I'll jump in here if I may. Waterlox is the brand name. If you put it on with a rag, let soak in a while and wipe off with another rag, it gives a nice oil finish. Or you can keep coating it and get a deeper clear finish. Its good stuff, its soaks into the wood and then hardens,making the handle basically waterproof.

Tony G

I'll jump in here if I may. Waterlox is the brand name. If you put it on with a rag, let soak in a while and wipe off with another rag, it gives a nice oil finish. Or you can keep coating it and get a deeper clear finish. Its good stuff, its soaks into the wood and then hardens,making the handle basically waterproof.

Tony G

O.K., sounds good, seems like it's just the stuff I'm looking for. Thank you very much.

I was never satisfied with my oil finishes until I began thinning my linseed oil with turpentine, about a 50/50 mix seems to penetrate much better.

I find that Walmart has a gun stock oil finish, It is called Trueoil .It drys fast and makes a realy nice finish. I hope this will help.

On the African Blackwood, sand to a very fine grit then buff it with a good finishing compound. If you don't have a buffer, put a buffing wheel on an electric hand drill. That wood is so oily it doesn't need anything else. For anything else that needs sealing I use boiled linseed oil. It's cheap and easy to get. I just stabilized some black palm with it under a vacuum. I may try cutting it with turpentine the next time as the oil seemed a little thick.

Doug Lester