Sign in to follow this  
Scott.Rapp

Help! Burner is sputtering?

Alright, so I took Geoff's advice, and I fired up my forge. I have a t-rex burner, set in the tank at a 3 o'clock angle to try to get the flame swirling around the tank. I have the burner set inside the interior of the kaowool by about an inch. When I fire it up, it sputters. It's putting out heat for sure, but it's put-put-put-put-putting .... I would think that it was because it wasn't getting enough air ... but both ends are open, and even with my adjustable choke all the way open, it's still sputtering.

Any suggestions?

While waiting for a reply ... I went back out, and played with the choke again. I had almost close it, and then the flame stayed on without sputtering. With just gas flowing through my needle "idle" valve, I have a curling flame on the side of my tank that is yellow/orange in color.

When I open the main valve, then it seems to go blue ... its kinda hard to see in bright daylight.

Now, my question ... is the satanite supposed to turn black? I'm trying to cure it through small cycles of turning the forge on and off ... the part where the flame is swirling is really dark like it has burned ... I'm paranoid, so I've gotta ask. Sorry.

After another few cycles, I'll let the forge cool and then layer it with some ITC-100

Then the only thing I think I need to get to start hammering is ... sadly ... an anvil.

While waiting for a reply ... I went back out, and played with the choke again. I had almost close it, and then the flame stayed on without sputtering. With just gas flowing through my needle "idle" valve, I have a curling flame on the side of my tank that is yellow/orange in color.

When I open the main valve, then it seems to go blue ... its kinda hard to see in bright daylight.

Now, my question ... is the satanite supposed to turn black? I'm trying to cure it through small cycles of turning the forge on and off ... the part where the flame is swirling is really dark like it has burned ...

Sputtering can also be too much gas and not enough air. It sounds like you solved that problem.

Yes, satanite will turn black when heated and when it gets hotter it may revert to a brown/gray color. You're not burning anything. Unless you see smoke then check again... :lol:

At what psi were you operating the T-rex burner?

I currenlty have the psi set at about 2-2.5 psi.

I adjusted the choke a little bit again and produced a beautiful blue flame both on idle, and on full open.

I adjusted the choke a little bit again and produced a beautiful blue flame both on idle, and on full open.

I see. Your psi is a bit too low for the burner that you are using when you start with a cold forge. You can play around with the position of the MIG tip to locate the sweet spot. I would start the burner at 5 psi and mostly chocked on the air and the lowest setting on the needle valve for the gas. Then after you fire it up, ramp up the gas. As the forge gets hotter you can turn down the psi on the regulator.

One Of the major causes of sputtering is gas freezing in tank ,It does this when tank is low and senses this pressure and starts to reduce gas flow (its a safety feature. The best way to stop this ,is put your tank in a small tub of water this prevents freezing and gas shutdown. You can actually use tank until it is totally empty. ,,,,,,,,,,, Bubba -san

Edited by bubba-san

That's way too low. I've got two t-rexes in my forge and my gas pressure is a minimum of 6, double that for welding. No wonder she's sputtering. Did Rex give you a set of setup instructions for the tip position?

Hey scott, How are you I have a 3 burner that runs on 20 psi and it sounds like a jet plane , whenever It starts doing that sputtering I put in big bowl of water . You have nothing to loose by giving it a shot . Is your tank frosted on the bottom when this occurs ?? There is another item you should be aware of. All of the new tanks have a safety feature that senses gas flow and sometimes when you turn up it starts sputtering because ,the tank see's the increased gas flow as a leak and reduces gas flow, thus sputtering . To get around that, try and find an older tank that looks beat up and crappy , grab it !probably doesn't have safety valve. Keep using same tank and have that one refilled. I found out about valve from propane distributer. It does make a difference . I hope your forge starts working properly nothing is more distressing than your forge is acting up. This may not be the cause of your problem . But, it sure stopped mine from acting up . good Luck ........... Bubba

Edited by bubba-san

It's been my experience if your tank freezes you are just wasting fuel.

The reason tanks freeze up is do to the empty space inside. As there's more space, the liquid can convert to gas, and as the gas expands it gets cold. So as there's more room for it to expand and fill it gets colder.

I noticed recently when using mine that rocking it as it was freezing up was causing it to come back up to full potential.

The water bath is a good idea as well.

Mine tends to freeze a little as it start to get empty, especially when forge welding. And I only run at about 1-2 PSI, but mine is forced air.

[if the gas is used at a resonable rate ... the tank doesn't freeze.

That was common practise in the old days with a not to well designed forge burner.

*nods* Mine mostly does it when forge welding and I'm sure it's using a decent amount when running. At some point I think I'll have to deal out some cash for a 100 lb tank. Would be nice to have. I'm running off a 40 lb.

You know I live in a rural area of the missouri Ozarks and everyone uses propane for one reason or another , and good larger tanks over 40 lb. are at a premium . I was calling around to the local dist. of gas and you would think you were looking for gold . I made about 4 calls and only one returned my call and he said He was out of 100 lb tanks? It seems like that particular size is kind of hard to come by around here. I guess I could just buy another 40 ? keep one for spare . I used to buy the 17 lb tanks that were made for BBq pits and I had nothing but trouble . After I went to a 40 most of the problems I had were minor. I think sizing your forge to gas tank helps some also. I hope the sputtering resolves itself. I think once you get used to your forge ,it usually works better after it is broken in . regards........... Bubba

I think I got my problems resolved. Like one person said, it only sputters when I first start it... and it doesn't do that very often anymore. I adjusted some things on my burner, and I did a little tinkering to the forge, and it fixed it.

I wish there was someone closer to my area that could direct me on how hot I should keep this forge though... I have no previous experience to base the color of my forge against. I usually run at about 3-4 psi, sometimes higher... I don't like wasting gas =/ expensive...

Tractor Supply Company was where i'd bought mine, the 100 lb tanks are close to 100$, or a little over. I want one.

since we are talking about big lp tanks ..

I was recently looking for a house to purchase, and it went through my head that I should get somewhere with LP gas. Then I could just hook into that huge tank that sits in my yard ....

hehe.

I've noticed that when I light my forge (firebrick with an E-Z burner) as soon as I remove the choke the burner will sputter for a minute until the forge warms up, then I can crank the pressure up to where I like it. I'm using a 100 lb tank and very low pressure at startup.

I've thought about hooking into the big tank (hey, they do it for free here!) but since I'm already running a 100, I've been too lazy to get around to it.