One peice dagger

Hello!

Here is a small dagger forged from one inch W1; the stand is curly makore.

This one gave me trouble for the balance; too heavy... Integrals make you realize how a few grams can change the whole dynamic of a knife.

daguebruteforge.jpg

Antoine

Edited by Antoine
Hello!

Here is a small dagger forged from one inch W1; the stand is curly makore.

This one gave me trouble for the balance; too heavy... Integrals make you realize how a few grams can change the whole dynamic of a knife.

daguebruteforge.jpg

Antoine

Antoine,

If I were doing this, which I haven't yet, I would drill out the handle from the back, and weld in a plug. This way you could remove as much, or as little from the handle weight to balance it to your liking. Of course then it wouldn't truly be one piece, but once the plug was welded in place it would kind of be one piece again. However, like I said, I haven't done this yet, so my advice is worth about what you paid for it.

Tony G

Hi Antoine

i like it intgrals are fun they make you think more. are you having a hammer-in this year?

Dave

Thank's David, I think Christophe has contaminated me :wacko:

It's weird, integrals are heavy, but you have to give the illusion with balance and lines that they are not.

I know I said to everyone a hammer-in in june but...There will be a hammer-in in august. the dates are not set yet, I did not send invitations but it will happen.

The summer is a little crazy for me: I have an order for 100 stone tools for the 24 july arrghhhh plus a naginata due for yesterday. But after that it should be ok...You are on the list of people I want to see; will not forget you :ph34r: !!!

I love it!

a lot of poeple try this style but You have executed it much better than most.

and I also love the stand idea. just makes for a beautiful piece of artwork to showcase.

Very nice. Would making the blade about twice that length fix the balance issues? I know it would be heavier overall, but perhaps the proportions would work out better?

Gorgeous display, too... I really like that.

Very nice. Would making the blade about twice that length fix the balance issues? I know it would be heavier overall, but perhaps the proportions would work out better?

Gorgeous display, too... I really like that.

Thank you!

Yes it would work; in that case I had a fixed blade lenght from the client. So I had to play with other parameters.

The lenght , shape and cross section of the handle and the type of grind.

What I found interesting is that despite the steel removed from the blade during the grinding, the overall weight of the steel was pretty much the same as the one from the bar I started with. Just by playing with those parameters, and changing the balance, I could make the blade feel lighter or heavier even if the weight of the steel was pretty much the same. Thinner handle equals more weight toward the blade=heavier, but then thinner handle equals longer handle more weight toward the pommel=lighter... :wacko:

I think it's Peter Jhonson (sorry if I don't spell right) that said that the balance on medieval swords had more to do with the shape of the tang than the actual weight of the pommel, now it is starting to make sense to me...

Antoine

Thank's David, I think Christophe has contaminated me :wacko:

It's weird, integrals are heavy, but you have to give the illusion with balance and lines that they are not.

I know I said to everyone a hammer-in in june but...There will be a hammer-in in august. the dates are not set yet, I did not send invitations but it will happen.

The summer is a little crazy for me: I have an order for 100 stone tools for the 24 july arrghhhh plus a naginata due for yesterday. But after that it should be ok...You are on the list of people I want to see; will not forget you :ph34r: !!!

yes Antoine i think Christophe is contaminadted a lot of us :blink: if you need a hand with the hammer-in give me a shout

Dave