It's Here !

Wow... who knew you could so excited about an old tool from 1929...

This beauty has been recently restored to its original glory by Russell Cashion... a terrific craftsman according to Sid Suedmeier... his work is detailed in "The Little Giant Powerhammer" by Richard Kern.

Today it completed its long journey from Arkansas to Hawaii... too many miles to count :0)

Thanks to Don Hanson who gave me lots advice and helped me through my decision... What a great guy!

Thanks to Lin Rhea who offered this hammer up for sale and then kept me committed to it even though he could have easily had this go hammer go to a great friend... Another great guy!

Thanks to Jerry Petty who picked this up, crated it and got it shipped to my front door... and with the patience of a saint... kept me informed through all these months of waiting for the bad weather to stop and the ground to dry up... Just a super duper great guy!

Thanks to Sid Suedmeier who gave me the history on this particular hammer and has continued to offer me advice and support on the Little Giant... Another terrific guy!

And to Cdent... who offered support and sage advice through this whole process and is still offering time and muscle power to get the foundation laid and this awesome tool finally positioned and working... A better forging buddy and friend would be hard to come by.... One of the very best in my book!

I owe all these guys a big "Thank You !".... so .... MUCHO MAHALO'S AND THANK YOU ! :0)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Craig,

It's oily but you wont find a better 25 lb LG. I miss it, but I know it's in good hands.

I look forward to seeing it in operation in your shop. Thanks for being patient. Everyone in this part of the US knows the rain we have had this Spring.

Thanks again, Lin

Bet no one else in your neighborhood has one of those :D

Craig, it's great to see your hammer setting in your garage. That hammer has traveled many more miles than most. Good lookin hammer too.

Bet ya can't wait to give it a try. Stay in touch and let me know if you need anything.

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

SWEET! Is that the first LG on HI ever?

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Craig,

It's oily but you wont find a better 25 lb LG. I miss it, but I know it's in good hands.

I look forward to seeing it in operation in your shop. Thanks for being patient. Everyone in this part of the US knows the rain we have had this Spring.

Thanks again, Lin

Thanks Lin... I'll take good care of it for sure...

Need to make a template of the base hole pattern and pour a good foundation with some anchor studs... then I'll take her for a test spin and we'll really be hammerin at that point.... then I'll get some pics up...

Glad you made it through the rains.... Still gonna plan that Hawaii Hammerin...

Thanks again....

Craig

Bet no one else in your neighborhood has one of those :D

Craig, it's great to see your hammer setting in your garage. That hammer has traveled many more miles than most. Good lookin hammer too.

Bet ya can't wait to give it a try. Stay in touch and let me know if you need anything.

Yup, the neighbor across the street who worked at Pearl Harbor Shipyard was fascinated by it, the UPS Freight guy was curious and so was the delivery guy... no one in this neighborhood has one for sure...

Thanks for the compliment... I think she's a beauty as well....

Wanted to get that foundation poured so when the LG arrived I could mount it ... but Sid gave me some good advice about waiting and making a template for the studs in the foundation... glad I waited but can't wait to get her fired up for sure....

Thanks for all the support....

SWEET! Is that the first LG on HI ever?

Thanks Sam...

According to Sid's official records... there was one delivered to another island, Maui, before Hawaii was even a state... around 1958... its under the LG records as a delivery to an international destination... I think he also delivered some parts to a guy on the Big Island of Hawaii... but that's it...

Sid's daughter Keri was telling me they got a call from someone on Maui wanting to sell that LG... it was a 250lb LG and that matches the old LG records so that must be the one....

This "Baby" is the only working hammer I know of in Hawaii....

There must have been others... Tom Mayo said he saw some of these in the old plantation workshops in Waialua and with all the plantations and military bases I can't imagine that they didn't have mechanical powerhammers here in Hawaii at some point...

Thanks for the compliments... can't wait to get set up and hammering.... got a bunch of Don's W2 to work on :0)

That's fantastic!!

Now I know where to stop by the next time I'm in Hawaii....

Thanks Karl and congratulations again on your JS achievement... MS isn't far behind for you !

Yup... if you're in the "neighborhood"... stop by... I'm sure I can learn alot from you... and we'll have a great "Hawaiian" time... gotta save the bikini clad hula dancers for Don though... :0)

I bet everyone in neighborhood will know about this thing in short order!

Looks great, Craig

Shhhhhhhhhh.... I was planning to start her up around 8am on Sundays... waddya think???? :0)

Kind like when I fire the forge and "vog" up the place... :0)

Here's some pics from a few weekends ago... before and after I finished forging....

Vog_5.JPG

Vog_1.JPG

Edited by Craig Hashimoto

Shhhhhhhhhh.... I was planning to start her up around 8am on Sundays... waddya think???? :0)

Here's some pics from a few weekends ago... before and after I finished forging....

That's why I use propane....

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

That's why I use propane....

I was just kidding with the pictures... That fog is what we call "vog".... its smoke from the volcano a few islands away.... when the wind blows the right way... it comes are way... terrible stuff for folks with respiratory conditions...

Yup... I use propane as well... and every once and a while charcoal... coal is non-exsistent on Oahu unless you wanna have a ton or two shipped over and then the price is pretty prohibitive.....

Haha --- my mom went to Hawaii when she was in college. She wants to know if you are in Kauai?

Haha --- my mom went to Hawaii when she was in college. She wants to know if you are in Kauai?

Hey Scott... nope... I'm on Oahu... but my Mom's family is from Kauai and I know the island pretty well... beautiful place!

Hey Scott... nope... I'm on Oahu... but my Mom's family is from Kauai and I know the island pretty well... beautiful place!

Now she wonders if you would say where you are at? She's trying to remember the name of the town she stayed in.

I'd love to see Hawaii someday.

Now she wonders if you would say where you are at? She's trying to remember the name of the town she stayed in.

I'd love to see Hawaii someday.

No worries... I'm in Kaneohe....

Was she on Oahu when she came?

Come on down... Hawaii is a terrific place :0) Here's few more pics of the Koolau Mountain range outside my front door .... Enjoy...

Jadie__s_Mountains_011.jpg

Jadie__s_Mountains_001.jpg

Sunset_Koolaus.JPG

• 4 months later...

Well I finally got around to digging the foundation for my 25lb Little Giant... Life, work and being a Daddy got really busy and I wanted to move things around and make sure the area was covered so needed to extend the roof etc...

Thanks to Don Hanson for thoughts and advice on this. And Big Thanks to CDent for helping me haul, mix and pour the cement, cut rebar and place it.... and generally sweat and keep me company while we got this done... Good Times... Good Times...

Gonna wait a month to make sure its well cured... keeping wet rags on the whole thing just to make sure... off to the lumber yard to pick up some 4x to mount and raise the hammer a bit (thanks for the tips Don!)....

Sheesh... I feel like a slug on this... but its nice to see some progress.... thought I would share

Some picks of the progress... the final hole... hole filled and still wet... 6 huge planters full of dirt from the hole... my two dogs that were of no help whatsoever :0)... and a rare view from my house of the mountains, rainbow and the full moon.....

Hope you enjoy....

F1.JPG

F5.JPG

F6.JPG

F8.JPG

F9.JPG

1.JPG

Graig your gonna love that little hammer,I bought a 50 pounder that was broke in half at the throat and in pieces.Built her new from the ground up,but hey I only gave 100 buck's for it the way it layed in the mud and weed's and it is being used daily.

• 2 months later...

Finally got it on its isolated foundation!...

Wow... its been almost a year since I started this "journey"... didn't have alot of spare time but I finally got it done!...

Thanks to cdent for all his help... couldn't have got the foundation poured and the hammer out of its crate and positioned without his help...

Thanks a million buddy...

Now just gotta get the 220 20amp line installed and find the time to play with this "puppy"...

Thanks for all the encouragement guys...

Little_Giant_1.JPG

Little_Giant_2.JPG

Wait is that 2 sea robbin and a lg in the same pic? Do you WANT me to give the jealous face? Looks good. Happy hammering.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Congratulations Craig, that is amazing what a cool journey in every sense of the word, especially for that hammer! Who ever heard of hammers flying anyway :D ?

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Wait is that 2 sea robbin and a lg in the same pic? Do you WANT me to give the jealous face? Looks good. Happy hammering.

I guess you saw those huh :rolleyes: Yup... That's two of them... hardened on both sides with the hardy hole on one side... got one ... fell in love with it and just had to get another before they were all gone... :blink:

I'm a tool hog... now I just need to find the time to do some forging.... :wacko:

Thanks for the compliment Mike...

"Congratulations Craig, that is amazing what a cool journey in every sense of the word, especially for that hammer! Who ever heard of hammers flying anyway "

Hey Sam!.... yeah... like you said.. gotta be the only working hammer on Oahu.... now I just need to organize a Hawaii Hammerin!.... Ya wanna come???? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words Sam!