Fly press

Okay, I have been looking at various ways of moving metal quickly, and the fly press seems to be the most effective manner for its cost. One question I have, however, is why nobody makes them... It seems to be a simple principle, and it would be, I think, relatively cheap to make. My tool budget is VERY limited, as I am a student currently, and I thought that I could probably assemble and fabricate all of the parts of a fly press, but I have encountered some posts on this forum seeming to state that it is easier to make a treadle hammer or hydraulic press. What am I missing?

Jesse, as someone else who would like to give a flypress a try, I say that it would take quite a bit of casting and machining work to make a flypress. I'm not sure of all the design specifics needed to make a funtioning press instead of a 400-500 pound paperweight. I think that the best thing to do is to save up all your pennies and to try to talk or work with someone who has used one of the presses for forging. I think that making a treddle hammer would be simple tinkering compared to making a well funtioning flypress.

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Don't try and make one, the forces generated at the screw and in the frame are massive. They are still made and relatively cheap ones are available here: http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/Templates/...nual_Flypresses

Here in the UK we can buy them for little more than their scrap value, take a look at ebay.co.uk and search for flypress and also for 'fly press'.

Here's a picture of my size 10. I have about 8 presses at the moment but usually prefer to use my powerhammer for most operations.

PICT0123.JPG

PICT0092.JPG

Jesse, I think the hardest part would be to find a screw that's fast enough. Maybe 1 turn over 3-5 inches or faster.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Bob, were you using that to break up rocks?!?!?!?!

plus, how do you like your Metabo grinder?

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

I have read that the hardest part is to get the screw machined. Its not your average thread, most are three different threads. Not something your average machine shop is going to knock out for you. And they still make these in India or Taiwan I beleive, several outfits are importing them for sale.

Chris

Chris Williams

Mmm, unfortunately, shipping a couple hundred pounds of metal from the UK to Ohio seems a bit out of my budget range. :(

They do turn up more frequently than you'd think here in the 'states. A buddy of mine got a great deal on one in Western PA a couple of years back. They're around if you look.

-d