Paul Cooper

modified barong

Aho

i wanted to do a barong with a heavy lean towards contemporary fighter.

11.75" oal and double edge makes it much lighter and more versatile. its still got a nice full belly for slashing but points well enough to thrust as well.

forged from leaf spring, ebony grip and sheath with sterling spacers and butt cap.

i did a chemical blue on the steel.

it took several cycles of bath, fine steel wool, bath, etc to get a good consistent patina. anyone have any recommendations for getting a nice chem-blue finish?

have fun.

paul cooper

1215727407.jpg

1215727409.jpg

1215727410.jpg

I don't have any info on the chem-blue finish, but that is one bad ass blade, i dig the pine cone section on the handle and the blade shape and contour lend nicely to the scabbard and handle shape.

Paul, Thats one good looking piece of leaf spring! I'm thinking the problem your having with the bluing is because the steel is most likely 5160 and its got a dash of chrome in it and its working against the bluing agent. From the picture you took I wouldn't be to concerned. I think it looks just fine.

Paul,

Im a huge fan of this style of knives (borang) and that thing is fan frikin tastic!!!!

Nice work.

I LOVE IT!!! Ive been exploring this style of knife for a while now. Very inspiring.

Larry Sharp

from my own aesthetic, i should hate everything about this piece, but it is utterly beautiful. i second ray, the chromium is going to make all blueing/browning/rusting difficult, but it looks lovely, and for future reference, multiple cycles will always take care of it.

I'm with Jake, it doesn't seem like the design should work, but somehow it is graceful and beautiful anyway. Well done!

hi

after some experimenting and repeated applications i got a decent finish. just seemed like i must have been missing a trick or something.

chrome resisting the blue makes perfect sense. thank you for that.

jake; when i was planning the grip, i looked through some of your work for inspiration. i truly admire the patience you have for carving.

thank you all for taking the time to respond.

enjoy your weekend.

-p

Beautiful knife. I love how you ground the blade, stunning lines.

About the blueing, maybe it's the chrome, but blued guns and pistols are usually made of 4140, that contains about the same amount of chrome (more or less than 1%) of most spring steels.

That sure is a beaut. Love the lines. Verry nice!

Great looking knife very eye catching!

Bob

That's contemporary?? It looks like it's a hundred years old! (which is a good thing, in my humble opinion...)

Very, very nice work.

WOW! I Like!

I love the handle it reminds me of a thistle. I also think the the curl in the scabard matching the curl in the notch was a stroke of genius it really brings the whole package together. Awesome work.