igrec

nice hamon

A little blade made to practice quenching and polishing. I begin to understand why polishing is so difficult.

Is anyone knows how to use a migaki without leaving scratches ?

P1000153.jpg

P1000147.jpg

P1000150.jpg

P1000152.jpg

The japanese use ibota wax to put on burnisher , it prevents scratches when used properly . also make sure there are no burr on rod . It takes a little practice . some polishers scratch the blade on purpose for a type of polish ,light parallel scratch lines very close together on shinogi .The type and amount of scratches can be used to identify who polished blade. ................... Bubba

Edited by bubba-san

:rolleyes: At my age if misspelling a word is the worst thing I do that would be fine . Everyone knew exactly what I meant . how do you spell want to ?gozaimashita bubba -san Edited by bubba-san

I knew what you were talking about bubba-san, but igrec may not have. So I thought I'd give him the correct spelling of the stuff he was asking about...incase HE wanted to look up what the stuff was. :)

Just keeping information here accurate, thats why we come here. Apologies if you felt offended. :)

I knew what you were talking about bubba-san, but igrec may not have. So I thought I'd give him the correct spelling of the stuff he was asking about...incase HE wanted to look up what the stuff was. :)

Just keeping information here accurate, thats why we come here. Apologies if you felt offended. :)

No I was not offended, I was joking I assumed you were too. You are correct spelling is important when relaying information , in all language''s. You don't have to use japanese wax you can use nuetral shoe polish works just as well. However you should have offered him some usefull alternative information instead of being critical of my "spelling" ?? I thought it was child like like . I hope you are not offended by my remarks . I also apologise if you are ....................................... Bubba -san

No I was not offended, I was joking I assumed you were too. You are correct spelling is important when relaying information , in all language''s. You don't have to use japanese wax you can use nuetral shoe polish works just as well. However you should have offered him some usefull alternative information instead of being critical of my "spelling" ?? I thought it was child like like . I hope you are not offended by my remarks . I also apologise if you are ....................................... Bubba -san

Good to hear you weren't offended :)

Again just to be clear, I wasn't being critical of your spelling in my post. Infact, I wasn't even addresing you. I was addressing Igrec. I complimented his polish and suggested HE look up "ibota", for that was his question in the first place.

As for alterntives, I certainly would have offered some if I had any. Sadly have no expertise in polishing and have no tips or alternatives to share and I certainly deffer to your experience and expertise on the subject. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure we all appreciate it :)

Good to hear you weren't offended :)

Again just to be clear, I wasn't being critical of your spelling in my post. Infact, I wasn't even addresing you. I was addressing Igrec. I complimented his polish and suggested HE look up "ibota", for that was his question in the first place.

As for alterntives, I certainly would have offered some if I had any. Sadly have no expertise in polishing and have no tips or alternatives to share and I certainly deffer to your experience and expertise on the subject. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure we all appreciate it :)

Thanks for your kind words ,It is refreshing that we can have a conversation about something without deteriorating into something else . I am a trained ( togishi) I can help you if you have some problems. By the way I really like P.I. I spent 5 years there back in the sixties . I thought it was a beautiful country . I used to be halfway proficient at tagalog but, I have forgotten so much . I am going to post a hybrid polishing tuitorial , it would be something that most people can do. And it turns out a nice sashikoma style polish. respectfully ............Bubba

Hi there,

Razor sharp blades also learnt us to choose our words with care. Glad to see that peace came back.

Sorry for not replying, I was out for few days.

Actually, Ialready have ibota and tsunoko i purchased from namikiwa, but the result i could reach did not statisfied me.

Bubba-san, I use the japanese sword polishing book as a guide in my work, and I'd like to be able to polish the traditionnal way. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward reading your tutorial as I really like your work and learning from other people.

I lack of understanding the process of the shiage in its details, and would enjoy discussing it.

The steel I use is C130e2u, something like your w2.

I am going to try the 0,7 C version soon to compare the effect on the quench and polish.

A great thanks for your interest and compliments to my work.

Hi igrec,

I'd be interested to hear what process you used to polish this blade. Did you use stones for the entire process (and if so, were they all natural stones or synthetic), or did you do a "hybrid" polish? Did you etch at all, and if so what etchant did you use? Reason I ask is that I'm trying some semi-traditional polishing myself, but am running into problems getting rid of all the scratches unless I use all natural stones (at least from komanagura and up). I'm also having issues with getting the habuchi and ashi to show as well as on your blade. I've managed to get a good polish on some antique kogatana (I'll add pictures when I get home this eve), but run into problems when polishing modern monosteel blades. I'm currently using W1 as my steel.

cheers,

/steve

Hi steve

I don't etch exept just after the quench to check that everyting is ok, and polish with mostly natural stone exept for the three first one. What I understand about polishing is that the goal is more to get a regular color and texture with no hiku than focusing on the micro-scratches that make this color/texture. The ha must be shiny, the habuchi white and the ji grey with a soft surface. The more you polish your habuchi and yakiba with finger stones, the more you'll see ashi and various activities come up. You must be able to polish until you see the tiny martensite cristals composing the habuchi.

Don't forget that ligt setup and cameras let you see all the activity at the same time, as you would not in the reality. I would say that we must not try to see in reality what we saw in the hundreds of picture looked at.

Do that make sense to you ?

Edited by igrec

IGREC-- I have polished and etched and polished and etched and never have I gotten close to the pictures.

BUBBA SAN-- Where are you going to post your tuitorail??

chuck bennett