Sam Salvati

Hand crank POWERHAMMER!>>!>?!?!?

Wow is right! What an eccentric performance! :)

Luke

they ware about the same powerhammers before in our country !

but they ware powered by water mills...the name was :"maka"...

Wow is right! What an eccentric performance! :)

Luke

Eccentric......ROFLLOLOL.

That just seems like a waste of effort unless it was powered by a water wheel... I mean, a striker could go faster and use about the same energy...

That just seems like a waste of effort unless it was powered by a water wheel... I mean, a striker could go faster and use about the same energy...

Perhaps, but that hammer looked much heavier than the average striker could be expected to swing.

Perhaps, but that hammer looked much heavier than the average striker could be expected to swing.

I can't disagree with you on that. So maybe a medieval smith could save a few bucks on the iron for the big hammer to get two strikers :P I like Beau's idea, but it would work best if you had a bunch of kids with too much energy. :lol::rolleyes:

The consistency of the strike is a good advantage... but yes, hook that baby up to a water wheel!

I can't disagree with you on that. So maybe a medieval smith could save a few bucks on the iron for the big hammer to get two strikers :P I like Beau's idea, but it would work best if you had a bunch of kids with too much energy. :lol::rolleyes:

Heh, just need to rig up a biiiig treadmill, then feed them chocolate and coffee...

When Krupp was first getting started, his stream didn't run predictably enough to actually drive a trip hammer full time. If they had a really hot summer, it would go dry, and then he wouldn't be able to work. So, I can see the advantage to having something driven by people, especially if you attached another flywheel on the other side, to get two apprentices working it. Are there plans available for something like this?

Holy Crap!... :blink: So thats historic they say?????

in the discription is says "medieval power hammer"

I would much rather have two skilled guys with large hammers working in rhythm

I think in the first Pirates movie the smithy where Will Turner worked had a mule driven bellows.

I'm thinking that's what it probably drove as I didn't see a powerhammer, and the mule had to be there for some reason.

Hrm, I'll find a picture from Tannehill that shows their helve hammer.

CIMG3098.jpg

CIMG3097.jpg

This would have been driven by a waterwheel. I wouldn't mind having one.

Edited by EdgarFigaro

great pis, Edgar:)

many thanks!:)

Holy Crap!... :blink: So thats historic they say?????

It's about as historic as a chain maille shirt made from old beer can pop-tops. :rolleyes: i.e., it looks almost kinda sorta right, but did not exist in that form with those materials. Water power was it for the big hammers, and yes, you'd get a LOT more work done with a team of strikers than with that little toy.

I suspect they made it to demonstrate the principle, which it doesn't do very well either. It needs a few more lobes on the wheel to make the hammer work at something like a reasonable speed.

Can you tell I think it's silly/stupid/a waste of time? ;) The one in Beau's pictures is what they are trying to portray.

But if the smith idnt have access to a stream, electricity or a skilled striker then this is a viable option, it takes very little skill to operate and is far preferable than having someone whos never been within a mile of a forge trying to swing a 12 pound sledge in close proximity to you.

Heavier, but slower, so you still get only at best the same amount of work done. The whole idea of a powerhammer is that you can add more power to it, by exceeding the 1 person power behind the hammer. Hence the name powerhammer :P Now if that hammer was powered using his legs, instead of arms, then you could get far more power out of the same person. Then it would make sense :)

Can you tell I think it's silly/stupid/a waste of time? ;) The one in Beau's pictures is what they are trying to portray.

You think it's a silly/stupid/a waste of time, Alan? :o I am soooo shocked at this startling revelation. ;)

The hammer's design, exactly (or damn close to it) was included in one of Da Vinci's books. The basic helve design was around long before and after Da Vinci, but as usual he took it and designed it his own way.

It was not unknown, in areas without running water, to attach a large roundabout (hamster wheel) to one end of the driveshaft and to use it for power. Dogs, goats, donkeys and other animals were utilized, in addition to human power. The amount of room one of these would take up, nevermind the labor and materials to build one, would be rather costly nowadays. I had a rather involved conversation with another blacksmith during the War of the Lillies this year about it. He is planning to build one, having completed his dog powered chariot and the dogs around to run it.

~Bruce~