Geoff Keyes

What is a Bladesmith?

This is what comes of having busy hands and no load on the brain. I have told people that that if you draw a circle, put Jeweler, Blacksmith, and Machinist as points on the circle and draw lines radiating in, where they cross is bladesmith.

Thinking about that led me to reflect on how many other things it takes to make a bladesmith and trying to fit them on my circle, which led me to think about making my drawing 3D, which lead me to a part of a Sam Delaney novel "Triton", where he talks about modeling problems in 3D (there is a lot of random stuff in my head :rolleyes: ) (for you SF nerds out there who haven't read Delaney, he is one of my faves, try "Nova" or "Babel 17")

So, define a group of intersecting volumes of space: Jeweler, Blacksmith, Machinist, Cabinet Maker, Carver, Archaeologist, Art Critic, Magpie.....? Where they overlap is....US!

This is where my friends and family pat me on the head and say "That's very nice dear, now go back to the shop."

Lunch time!

Geoff

Let's see.. I'd add metallurgist, firebug, romantic, and obsessive-compulsive.

I don't think three dimensions are going to be nearly enough. How do you feel about tesseracts? :)

Luke

Oooo...tesseracts! I love tesseracts! Ever read Robert Heinline's "And he built a crooked house."?

Geoff

On top of the incredibly divergent skill sets required to be a bladesmith, I believe we think differently and see the world differently than most other people. Most bladesmiths are true renaissance men and women.

The common threads that run through the people I admire most are intelligence, wisdom, and an internally driven set of moral standards that makes them decent and honest people. I was very pleased to discover early in my bladesmithing that these characteristics are quite common among bladesmiths.

Bright minds and dirty hands - that's my definition of bladesmiths. Always willing to teach, but at the same time a perpetual student.

I am frequently humbled by the skills and character of the bladesmiths I know. I can only hope to someday be half as talented as most of you already are.

-Todd

PS: My favorite Heinlein book is "Tunnel in the Sky".

Geoff: That's one of only a couple of Heinlein stories that I haven't read. On the other hand, I think that the first time I ever heard of tesseracts was in "Glory Road". N-dimensional geometry is a mind warping concept, isn't it?

Todd: I absolutely agree about the character qualities of bladesmiths. As a group, they're among the nicest people I've ever known. Ornery at times, it's true, but overall, just a wonderful bunch.

Luke

I think we would have to add artist to the mix. The beauty and creativity are undeniable in

many projects that grace this forum.

often musicians as well. Opinionated, arrogant, frequently misunderstood, and unemployable misfits. Oh, that's me, sorry. :rolleyes:

Smart enough to do just about anything, dumb enough to think I can do EVERYTHING! :P:D:P

Matt

I never thought of the jewler part until I fit the guard on my last knife. A machinist and metalurgist too. Definately misunderstood in this world of mass produced goods. (Tell me again, why do you use a hammer and an anvil to make a knife?) And right next to the muzzleloading community, the nicest bunch you'll come across. Just plain nice, helpful people.

Jim