Sign in to follow this  
SHARPENSTEIN

Flea market find.

I was strolling around the flea market Sunday and found this. It is a portable forge. Everything comes apart and can be stored in the body of the forge for transporting. Ive never seen one like this before. Its made by champion and it cost me 100$. The blower works perfectly and it blows a good amount of air. Does anybody know how old it might be and who it might have been marketed for?

Larry Sharp

fleaforge_002__Medium_.jpg

fleaforge_003__Medium_.jpg

fleaforge_004__Medium_.jpg

fleaforge_001__Medium_.jpg

Larry,

Just a guess here, but I wonder if it's an old cavalry forge. I know they existed and some of them were very compact, but I've never seen one and I haven't been able to find many photos online. I did find one reference that indicates that some of them were made by Champion and had measurements of 23"x19"x8": http://www.anvilmag.com/smith/112f1.htm

How big's that one of yours? The proportions look about right . . .

Edited by Matt Bower

i dunno how big is that dang horse? :unsure:

I bought one for a friend 5 years ago and paid $100.00 for it. The one I bought wasn't as good a shape as yours.

The measurements are 22.5 x 18.25 x 7.

That's probably within the margin of error. I'd pursue that cavalry forge angle a little further, if you're really interested. Maybe the folks at Anvil Magazine can put you in touch with the guy who owns the one described in that article.