JPH

Hello and intro

Hello:

I just joined this forum and I figured it would be nice to introduce myself.. My name is Jim..I live in the desert of Southern Nevada. Been doing hot work for a little while now. hopefully I will be able to contribute something useful from time to time..

Just thought I would stop by and say hello..

Thank you for reading my post..

J

Edited by JPH

Welcome Jim, feel free to post some pictures of your work.

Don:

Thank you for the warm welcome. Here is one I whipped out the other day. It's a Ladder Pattern "Barbaric" patterned Dag, with my own "fossilized Bovine Ivory" grip with bronze studs and bronze mounts. The blade is welded 1095 Electrite and 440C. Just got a wild hair to do something a bit out of my norm as they say....

Hope you like it..

JPH

MVC_002F.JPG

Edited by JPH

Welcome Jim it's good to see you here. Nice dagger!

Bob

Welcome Jim.Good to see your life has smoothed out and your back to work.I hope all is well and look forward to your posts.

Nice to see you posting here Jim.

I'm sure there's a lot of us here who have been influenced by you through your books.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Welcome aboard, Dr. J! Good to see you here. I like your first post, nice and subtle... :lol: Your books (and video) have helped many of us into the world of bladesmithing. Thanks for stopping in!

Hello again!!

Yeah things really went to hell in a hand basket, boy when stuff like that happens it really knocks the wind out of you. But what I miss most besides my young son is my service in the Nevada Guard..but as my bosses up in Carson City said 32 years is a good run for any one... Besides, this old dog face soldier knows I will never see a star so....I guess it's time to pass the torch as they say to someone else who can run farther with it than this olde fart ever could...It's not the years...it's the mileage!!!

But there is a "bright side" to all of this...even though I am on the downhill side of 100 I am in excellent health (other than a dodgy knee...) and I am finally able to get my goat smelling carcass back out in to the studio and back to work.... Plus my wife Sue is a real blessing. Her and the Horde saved me, literally, from a slow death. I thank God Allmighty for the four of them...

I am even back to work on book 4 which is waaaaay overdue but hey, these things take time... Right now I have hit a major wall research wise on Japanese composite conctruction. I am trying to find out if the Japanese smiths ever twisted the lamiante prior to building the sunobe. I have run down several "rumors" and have found nothing as yet. All the info I can glean on "patterning" in the hada is done by hammering techniques. The closest I can get to pattern manipulation is sugiahada, and that is very similar to the classic ladder pattern in its manufacture.

Now there are numerous examples of old swords from China and Korea that have pattern welded components, but I have found not a one from Japan. If I could find one or two, that is all I need for the chapter. If I can't, well I guess I will have to say that as to the date of publication there are no known examples of Japanese smiths doing material manipulation in the laminate. Still they are composite blades never the less, just not what I call "pattern welded"....sigh....

Anyway..thank you for the warm welcome..will post a few pics as I start to get stuff done...

JPH

Edited by JPH

Don't know how I missed this one,,, Its great to see you here Dr. Hrisoulas. Its really awesome to see you become one of the many talented artists that populate Dons place. I feel lucky to have this place to come to,,, welcome,,,

jm

Welcome Dr.Hrisoulas!! I am glad things are going better for you. It will be a real treat to read your posts. The very first book I bought on the subject of making blades was yours.

Right now I have hit a major wall research wise on Japanese composite conctruction. I am trying to find out if the Japanese smiths ever twisted the lamiante prior to building the sunobe. I have run down several "rumors" and have found nothing as yet. All the info I can glean on "patterning" in the hada is done by hammering techniques. The closest I can get to pattern manipulation is sugiahada, and that is very similar to the classic ladder pattern in its manufacture.

Welcome. I read your books years ago and still go back to them from time to time. In a way, I can say that you tought me forge-welding even without your physical presence.

As for the Japanese pattern-welding... the only resemblance to that process that I have seen is the ayasugi hada of the Gassan school of swordsmiths. I have reproduced the pattern by doing a variation of the ladder pattern. Take a look here http://home.comcast.net/~jeshern/dagger.htm or here http://home.comcast.net/~jeshern/sunobe.htm The pattern was developed in the Muromachi era and then lost for 300 years until someone in the late Edo period figured out how to reproduce it again. He then named himself Gassan again and the school started over. I have never seen how they make the pattern although the claim is that is all forged and there is no removal of steel.

Here is an example of a Gassan tachi from around 1500.

Untitled_1.jpg

It's an honor to have you here Sir!

I'm reading through your book again right now :)

I love the dagger, and the bronze studs are a great addition. Very nice piece.

Thanks for sharing!

stick

Mr Hrisoulas,

It is great to see you as a member of this forum.

I got your books when they came out in the beginning of the 90´s. An early and important inspiration. They helped push me along to what I´m doing now.

Looking forward to read you posts and see more of your present work.

I think your books are an important contribution to the world wide community of blade smiths, even with the information available on the internet today.

Aw shucks guys..all I did was put down on paper what is in my head...wait till book IV hits...it's not your "normal" type of do this do that book..It will be for someone who already knows how to make a GOOD KNIFE..I mean NO BASICS AT ALL..(I will get some heat from those that refues to read the cover or the intro but what the heck..) It will be covering European style Pattern Welded swords, seaxes and knives, multi cored construction, heat treating and more.. It will also cover Japanese sword/tari/naginata/tanto construction, blade geometry (Niku) heat treating and hybrid polishing...(I have all the notes that the late Mr. Bob Engnath and I took when we were first started playing aroun d with that Hamon stuff)

Bone dying and processing...alot on regular patten welding and pattern develoupment///file work, fly press uses such as fullers and "t" back...Three piece grip construction..a lot of "fun stuff" that can make things a bit more spiffy...

So thank you all once again for the warm welcome..I gotta get back to work I got 28 daggers to finish in the next three days..RPFS looms on the horizon

JPH

Hi Jim I to am glad to see you here hope you are doing better now.

I can't wait to get your new book any idea when you will have it finished?

Hello:

I just joined this forum and I figured it would be nice to introduce myself.. My name is Jim..I live in the desert of Southern Nevada. Been doing hot work for a little while now. hopefully I will be able to contribute something useful from time to time..

Just thought I would stop by and say hello..

Thank you for reading my post..

J

Hello Jim,

Its been a while. I'm glad to hear your back to work. But I think you introduced yourself in the wrong section. This is the beginners section, and you are certainly no beginner. We are all glad to have you here. Your experience and knowledge is really welcome. I haven't been out to your neck of the woods in a while. Next time I make it out there I'll give you a call. I'd really like to see you fly press. Anyway, I have to go know or I'll miss my ride home. God bless.

Tony Guarnera :wacko:

Mr Hrisoulas

I have read your book over and over, and then I lent it to a firned who isreading it overand over. I am glad to see you active in the forums.

"Aw shucks guys..all I did was put down on paper what is in my head...wait till book IV hits...it's not your "normal" type of do this do that book..It will be for someone who already knows how to make a GOOD KNIFE..I mean NO BASICS AT ALL..

Jim,"

Thank you for putting those ideas to paper. Can't wait for the next book. For a good many of us, the fact that we qualify to read this one is due to the knowledge we picked up from the other books. I guess you could say that you're cultivating your own audience. Whatever it is, I just appreciate you doing what you do. I just discovered tonight that you're a member here. This has made my day. Good to have you around.

Edited by shortdog

Mr. Guarnera:

Isn't this where I SHOULD be? I mean after all, I wrote three books for "beginners", Ie, those that are interested in doing bladesmithing so, it makes sense..at least to me..that this is where I should "hang out" from time to time...Just in case anyone has any questions, comments or the like about the books, how do do things, find stuff and other things along that line...

So if no one minds...I will be popping in on a semi-regular basis....

JPH

I always wondered why i havent seen you around here, i figured you and don had a sort of Biggy Tupac thing going.

Mr. Fenton-Williams:

There are no other reasons as to "why" I wasn't "here" before other than the facts as follows:

1: I am basically a 19th Century man, just now "entering" the 20th Century and everyone else is well into the 21st...In other words I am a bit "behind" on the "computer stuff"..so all this computer "stuff" is still way beyond my limited understanding of electronic wizardry.....

2: I am NOT at all in any, way, shape or form "computer literate"..in fact I am doing good just being able to turn it on in the morning, so I am a bit "slow" at finding things..I just stumbled upon this forum recently....

3: I have the UTMOST RESPECT for Mr. Fogg..in fact he is a LIVING LEGEND in the "blade community" and given the (undeserved) compliment that you gave me (comparing Mr. Fogg and myself as " friendly rivals"..)...well, there is NO "rivlarey" there. Mr. Fogg is well.. Mr. Fogg.. All I did was write a few books....and a few articles here and there.. I have never been interviewd by a "major knife related" magazine or anything...(other than a short article to help out a old time friend Mr. Lewis a decade back) Whereas Mr. Fogg..well his work speaks volumns...I am not ashamed to admit he has me beat flat out on finish and design.. My work delves into the "how'd they do THAT ?" lines of research...I am a HACK compared to Mr. Fogg...in fact I am very pleased he let me join this august group...and I am happy as all get out to be "here"....

There is nothing more..nothing less as far as to why I just "showed up" here....

Don't mean to offend..I just want to "set things straight" cause anyone can realise how this could get all blown out of proportion... just want to prevent anything unfortunate from happening..

Take care

JPH

Edited by JPH

Hello Jim

I am glad to hear that things have calmed down in your life and if it was not for you my path down the knife and sword world would have never happened I am very greatfull for all the things that you tought me thru the years. Now If I could ever get out of Germany to work in the shop again I will work on the skills you tought me over 15 years ago.

the nobel minion core

Bill Jones

It is an honor to have you with us Dr. Jim. I didn't get the Tupac reference, but am glad you responded. I don't think either of us are comfortable with our public persona. To respond in kind, your books have been the jump off point for most of us who are bladesmithing today. We are indebited for your generousity and looking forward to the next book. Thanks for joining us.

Don

Mr. Fogg:

I am speechless..all I can say is thank you....

THANK YOU Sir...

JPH

Whoa i didnt mean to offend, i was just joking around. I respect both you and Mr.Fogg and am amzed by your work, it was your book "te complete bladesmith" that gave me my start as well as countless others, and i hope to learn more from you duringyour stay here, once again sorry if i seemed like an ass.