Sign in to follow this  
David D.

Dwarven Axe for Stephen Renico

Well it was inevitable, and only a matter of time we made one... :)

Considering how we call ourselves the mad DWARF workshop, we obviously had to try a dwarven axe sooner or later. Thankfully Mr. Renico asked us to try one before we were even comfortable with trying an axe!

dwarvenaxe1ww0.jpg

dwarvenaxe2gg0.jpg

dwarvenaxe3ev9.jpg

dwarvenaxe4fr5.jpg

it was an interesting experience learning how to make one the right way. I am not going to lie, this was not our first attempt...

But it turned out alright and was a good learning experience. Not to mention it gave us a new fund respect for Alan Longmire and the crazy insane work he churns out!!!..... :) haha

Hope you guys like! Please let us know what you think!

Hey, great job, guys! I love the runes and your carving style, Gimli (not to mention Gloin) would be proud. ;) So you did it by the wrap-and-drift method?

One hint: watch your fingers with the way you're carrying it. It's pretty easy to slice off the tips while swinging your arms. Yes, I found out the hard way... :blink::lol:

Really cool David! I like how you scuffed up the handle, making it look like it had years of use! The runes are cool too.

nice work keep it up

Sweet! I have plans to try something similar towards the end of the summer. I hope it turns out half as good as yours.

Well done. I am a fan of axes and this def looks like a dwarf would wear it right on his side. Well done.

Out standing! Definately a Dwarven axe.

I agree with Alan on the losing fingers. Maybe make a sheath to fit over the sharp edge?

Out standing! Definately a Dwarven axe.

I agree with Alan on the losing fingers. Maybe make a sheath to fit over the sharp edge?

I can't wait to get my hands on this.

I want to take a moment to tell everyone reading this how great it's been conducting business with this young man. He's kept me informed of every aspect of this project, to include pictures, and made everything right to the specifications of my requests.

Luckily for me, a lot of my answers to his questions were, "Whatever you think will work best." I'm not the smartest cookie on the planet, but I know it's wise to leave some choices up to the experts. The way this axe turned out, it looks like I was right.

Thanks, David.

Allright,

I've had this thing for a few weeks, now. It's time I finally got to writing about how great this thing is.

First, here it is in the belt loop. Also visible is my last name, Renico, in the blade, carved in dwarven runes. Oh, how I love that detail:

HPIM2033.jpg

Here's a closeup of the belt loop, tooled with dwarven knotwork and "MDW" in runes:

HPIM2031.jpg

The blade is nice and straight:

HPIM2029.jpg

More dwarven knotwork in angular designs. Though I can't show it in photos, the lines in the handle are very deep and straight- I'd like to know just how they were carved!

HPIM2026.jpg

More handle carving, with a dwarven/English "R" for yours truly ;)

HPIM2027.jpg

And a full glamour shot:

HPIM2024.jpg

I love this thing. It's sharp, durable, and takes a beating. I haven't been out to the woods yet, but I gave it to a scoutmaster friend of mine to take on one of his outings and he was impressed. "I put it through the works", he said. "And it was great." I haven't had to sharpen it since he returned it to me, either.

It also looks distressed and old- a look which is my favorite, and harder to achieve than most people realize.

Mad Dwarf Workshop outdid themselves on this one: a user with a fantasy look to it. This thing is heirloom quality.

Thank you for a job well done.

Really was a pretty cool axe, it'll be neat to see what they're turning out in a few years =P

As for the runes on the sheath it's actually M A D

thanks so much mr. Renico! :D

So glad you are pleased wityh it. And man you got better photos of it than we did!... haha :)

It may not be the cleanest prettiest axe out there but it was our first, and it works! And we will for sure be trying a few more in the future