Sign in to follow this  
Jake Powning

The Enchanted Blade

Guest Tai

Here's the first part of the guard. Now I have to forge some solid spherical moon like pieces for the ends and solder them on. It gets tricky. The ends of the guard have to be carved out, with a reverse impression, so that the spheres seat into them. This is the only way to get a nice tight solder seam without cutting a flat spot on the spheres themselves. Keeping it all straight and centered can get frustrating, so I'll start fresh in the morning.

28699468-2264-0258019D-.jpg

thats beautiful Tai! hope it turns out even better than I think it will (and I think itll turn out great!  :laugh: )

Guest Tai
Thanks haden! If I take my time I'm sure it will turn out. :)

Gorgeous stuff.  There are even Mars meteorites / stones on Earth, that have been knocked off the surface by big meteorites.

Guest Tai

Spheres are a fun shape to forge.

28733916-0c03-01F40148-.jpg

28733917-73a4-01F40175-.jpg

I decided to solder them on before trying to file them smooth, so I'd have something to hold them by. I made them a bit larger than in the drawing. They scream full moon!

28733918-1ab8-01F40186-.jpg

Now it has some balls! :)

Does that involve a SILVER monkey?

Guest Tai
"Everybody's got something to hide,... except for me and my monkey."  Beatles  :D

Guest Tai

Here's the orbed guard, simple form, but tricky.  :D

28812410-41a6-028001DF-.jpg

Guest Tai

Let me back track for a minute. I finally got some pics from Jeff of the original billet and some of the welding. You can see what a big knarly billet we started with. It gave a cool pattern though.

28857754-ab92-028001AB-.jpg

28858053-c2c0-028001D3-.jpg

That's Ebo striking and me holding. This was a weld that we made fairly close to the end... look how much it shrunk! It took lots of heats to get there. :)

Brothers!!!

its getting more impressive by the second! keep it up! [ylsuper]

Ahem...Once again I must remind you, Tai. Where's your eye protection?

Guest Tai
My nose doesn't have enough of a bridge for glasses and goggles fog up on me.  :(

My nose doesn't have enough of a bridge for glasses and goggles fog up on me.  :(

You could use a faceplate... [tapedshut]

oops double post

Guest Tai

What I need is an Optigrab, like in the movie "The Jerk" !!!,... with Steve Martin. :)

It's the Chinese side ya know, no nose bridge. :(

The worse thing that happend was the time Ebo came in sandals. He got some flux on his foot. So, I had him put on a pair of thick cotton socks, and just before he struck he'd step in the water bucket and get them soaking wet.  It worked O.K. :)

You guys would crap, if you ever saw Ebo in action! He is not that impressive looking physically, but he can whale with a sledge like no one I've ever seen!!! It is kinda scarey.... I've never seen such an aggressive striker! With a 12 pound sledge he can hit harder than a 50 pound Little Giant, the whole earth trembles beneath him, ... and that ain't no B.S!

(I wish I had a better pic of it.)

At the moment Ebo strikes, I duck, turn my head, grit my teeth, pray, and close my eyes completely, it's totally safe for me. :D

After I finish this one I'm throwing a full moon party to celebrate. Ebo will come out and help me start #2. I saved a piece from the original billet as a "seed" for the next one.

Here's a pic of the handle core. It's not very exciting, but it is critical. The silver disc at the front is the first part of the front end cap. By capping the front, the handle can be wider than the guard, which helps make a nice transition from the handle to the blade.

28894279-cff0-028001D1-.jpg

Guest Tai

... I put the "seed" somewhere where it would be safe, and now I can't find it!  :(

I'll keep looking Don.  :)

hahaha, kinda starten to look like the "master sword"...im sorry I play video games :D

that looks so awsome, Id like to see a larger picture.

Guest Tai

It is kinda knordish, huh?   :)

That's about as large as I can get it on there.

Guest Tai

The seams and such are part of the overall "design rhythm", negative and positive space etc...

I see the overall handle as a 3D musical phrase or "chant".

Guest Tai

It's guitarrone!  :D

Boing boing boing Schlaap ! Bharanggg boing boing boing.  :P

Guest Tai

"Knife terminology."

In my book of knife terminology, it isn't an "end cap" if it doesn't fit "over" the handle. If it does not fit over the handle it's just an "end piece". The same with "ferrules". Ferrules fit around or over the handle to prevent the wood or bone from splitting. If it doesn't fit around the handle it's just a "wide spacer". I see these terms misused a lot and just needed a little rant.  :angry: