Alan Longmire

Cutting competition knife

Set to make its debut at Bowie's hammerin this fall, if we ever find out when it will be... :rolleyes:

comp_knife_1.jpg

comp_knife_2.jpg

comp_knife_3.jpg

comp_knife_4.jpg

15 inches overall, 10 inch blade, 5 inch handle. Forged 9260 steel, mild steel fittings on blade and sheath, walnut enclosed full tang with brass pins. Haven't got the edge geometry right where I want it, but it handles the 1" rope and water bottles with ease, not to mention 2x4's.

looks like it will be just fine alan

Stephan

Lovely tool,Alan,practical and rugged.Very mpressive,and ,i'm sure,a pleasure to handle.Right on.

Alan, I don't recall seeing a knife made by you, I thought you were just the "Hawkman". Looks like a fine looking knife! One year I got into the last cutting contest that OKCA put on. I made it past the first round but that was it. You being a young buck should be of some advantage. Good luck! Thats one fine looking anvil you have there...... Whats the make?

Looks great Alan. Cant wait to see it in action. Ive started a competition knife but Im not sure Ill finish it in time. If not Ill bring it and maybe finish it at Bowies. I think yours should do well.

Larry Sharp

Thanks, guys! :D

Good eye, Geoff. Searles blade and guard, coffin handle. I decided to go old school on this one.

Ray, that's 'cause everybody else makes knives. ;) Every once in a while I have to prove I can too. The anvil is my baby, a 100 Kg (220.5 lb) Refflinghaus. Traded two hawks and a bearded axe for it.

Larry, bring it on! :lol:

Very nice Alan! That wide blade should work especially well in the 2x4 chop, I can see the chunks fly now! I've been meaning aot make a cutting knife for some time but didn't have any stock on hand to make one as wide as I wanted. You've reminded me I have a huge 70lb. spring of 6150 I can cut any size chunk off I might need. How's that 9260 working out?

Beautiful large, wide blade; looks a great cutter. Nice metal work on the sheath. I prefer far thicker guards, but that's a great looking knife.

Yup, it's #57. I'd have preferred a 550 lb. #58 , but the guy I traded didn't have one of those. :lol: I'm not that choosy a beggar, after all!

As for the spine, it's a full-length swedge with a flat on top that starts about 3/32" wide at the guard and tapers down to sharp at the tip. I was gonna leave it a full flat grind, but it felt a little clunky that way. Plus I was kinda inspired by your long and pointy fighter from a few weeks ago. ;) Blatantly stole it, actually. :unsure::lol:

Giuseppe, that's about the thickness Daniel Searles used on his guards in the 1830s, and I wasn't gonna argue with tradition. I almost didn't put a guard on it at all, but it felt like it needed to be there.

I'm really liking the 9260. TOUGH steel! Forges easily, but the silicon content makes it very abrasion resistant when hardened. It actually shows a faint hardening line (oil quench, no clay, full quench) so I bet it'd do a hamon if one were so inclined.

That looks great Alan. I'm planning to make me one, still wondering when Bowie's is gonna be as well.

That will do the trick i like it! :D

Bob

Yup, it's #57. I'd have preferred a 550 lb. #58 , but the guy I traded didn't have one of those. :lol: I'm not that choosy a beggar, after all!

As for the spine, it's a full-length swedge with a flat on top that starts about 3/32" wide at the guard and tapers down to sharp at the tip. I was gonna leave it a full flat grind, but it felt a little clunky that way. Plus I was kinda inspired by your long and pointy fighter from a few weeks ago. ;) Blatantly stole it, actually. :unsure::lol:

The #57 is plenty big. Its 70 pounds heavier than my old Trenton. Yours is right on the edge of not being portable. I'd hate to use one like yours for fear I wouldn't want to go back to mine. As for the knife glad you were able to get some inspiration from my work. I think the look as well as weight reduction is a big plus. Someday I'd sure like to make to Bowie's hammerin. They really sound like a blast.

Alan,

Nice cutter. I may fly out for Bowies hammer in. Are there rules for size, etc. for these cutters? Bowie was pushing me to come on out.

Jim, I think it's mandatory that all owners of a Claiborne press must attend a hammerin at the shop. ;)

Cutting competition knife rules are pretty simple: maximum overall length 15 inches, maximum blade length 10 inches, maximum handle 5 inches, max blade width 2 inches, no weight or thickness limit. Blades must be full tang, with at least one visible handle pin, and all knives must have a wrist thong. Your choice as to front- or rear- mounted thong hole.

I kinda bent the rules on this one a little with the enclosed full tang, but Bowie likes me so hopefully they'll let me play. :lol:

Edited to add: If you come out, drag Ray along! We haven't had a west coast contingent, and y'all would probably win the longest travel distance award.

Edited by Alan Longmire

Great job! Good luck at the comp!

Nice one Alan.

It's got a good long lean and mean look to it.

I've always thought a Searles style blade would be a great cutter, too.

Jim, I think it's mandatory that all owners of a Claiborne press must attend a hammerin at the shop. ;)

Cutting competition knife rules are pretty simple: maximum overall length 15 inches, maximum blade length 10 inches, maximum handle 5 inches, max blade width 2 inches, no weight or thickness limit. Blades must be full tang, with at least one visible handle pin, and all knives must have a wrist thong. Your choice as to front- or rear- mounted thong hole.

I kinda bent the rules on this one a little with the enclosed full tang, but Bowie likes me so hopefully they'll let me play. :lol:

Edited to add: If you come out, drag Ray along! We haven't had a west coast contingent, and y'all would probably win the longest travel distance award.

My Leuku a couple years ago broke those rules, but it was still fun to chop. Nice knife, Alan.

Is the full tang bit something exclusive to Bowie's? I didn't think tang type mattered as long as it had the pin and thong hole.

Most of the knives I've seen have been hidden tang.

Was wondering about that as the comp knife I've been planning to make was gonna be a hidden tang.