Allen Mantanona

Photo sensitive stencil for electro etching

I have read many tutorials on how to make your own stencils from how to print them and use a photo sensitive stencil material to how to use just the laser print. In my initial tests, none have been successful.

Can anyone give me a simple, tried and true way of doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Allen

I have read many tutorials on how to make your own stencils from how to print them and use a photo sensitive stencil material to how to use just the laser print. In my initial tests, none have been successful.

Can anyone give me a simple, tried and true way of doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Allen

I just stumbled across this, and remembered this thread. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Another easy way is to draw it up or pick your font, then go to an auto decal place and have a sheet of the stencils printed out in the size you want.

I use stencils from IMG for mine, but on a request to have a customer's name on a blade I went with an auto decal.

Apparently it's also the preferred method for acid etching blades of Peter Lyon. I'd talked with him a bit about it over email and I've been brain storming on some designs to use it more on. It worked good for the electroetch though.

Another easy way is to draw it up or pick your font, then go to an auto decal place and have a sheet of the stencils printed out in the size you want.

I use stencils from IMG for mine, but on a request to have a customer's name on a blade I went with an auto decal.

Apparently it's also the preferred method for acid etching blades of Peter Lyon. I'd talked with him a bit about it over email and I've been brain storming on some designs to use it more on. It worked good for the electroetch though.

Edgar,

I have heard and thought of this but have found that small, detailed pictures/fonts do not come out well with this method. Maybe I just need the right auto decal shop.

Thank you,

Allen

That's true. I would think a lot would depend on what's trying to be etched, but I would think it has to work pretty well for Weta workshop to be using it on their arms and armor, but then again they're doing it with acid, I've not done it much cept once with the electro etching, but I'm planning to try it some more, have some experiments in mind I wanna try.

I'd gotten mine done and the stencil came out a bit bigger than I'd planned, but the customer had liked it so I'd used it.

I found this a while back.The guy is etching brass but gives a good description of using the laser toner.

etching with laser toner

Glenn,

I tried this method with different printers and paper combination without success. I would have loved for this method to work... maybe me or maybe the difference between copper and steel. Thanks for the link.

Allen

The second page of this tutorial has some good information about making your own stencils.Etching Tutorial

~Bruce~

Bruce,

This is along the lines of what I was thinking but have no idea as to where to buy the photo sensitive stencil that is shown. Tracy states that he used "IMG materials" stencil material but I am not sure where to buy the stencils. Do you know where a link for any stencil materials (photo sensitive) are?

Thanks,

Allen

IMG does sell the stencil material on it's own, when I'd bought my stencils, I'd asked about the material for the idea of making some of my own when I needed one off ones,

http://www.img-electromark.com/

I seem to recall the sheets being about 12$ and it being the size of a sheet of paper, I could be wrong though, but you might message them and ask for Patricia, she has experience helping knife makers, as she was the one who helped me and I've read where she helped others. Very helpful lady.

IMG does sell the stencil material on it's own, when I'd bought my stencils, I'd asked about the material for the idea of making some of my own when I needed one off ones,

http://www.img-electromark.com/

I seem to recall the sheets being about 12$ and it being the size of a sheet of paper, I could be wrong though, but you might message them and ask for Patricia, she has experience helping knife makers, as she was the one who helped me and I've read where she helped others. Very helpful lady.

Edgar,

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I will contact them.

Really appreciate it,

Allen