Sign in to follow this  
DFogg

My Weekend Education

Just waking up from my weekend with Dale Baxter, JS.  Other than seeing Mr. Fisk at a demo I've never had the chance to be around a bladesmith, so I jumped at the opportunity to work with Dale.   Dale had a prior commitment to work at a "trade day" as a bladesmithing demo but still worked my "learnin" into his weekend.

Brief rundown of what I learned:

How to better forge a tang, never seen it done and learned a lot of hammering technique from it.

A different forging technique, going to take me some time to practice it, but I know I'll get a better blade out of it.

How to market myself, AND how to treat customers.  Very unexpected lesson, maybe the most important one I learned.  Watching Dale's wonderful wife, Miss Stephanie work a table should be mandatory for anyone wanting to learn how to sell knives. Lot more to knifemaking than making knives.  

Learned a lot of the intangibles of a student/teacher relationship.  

Dale it was an honor and a privilege to be allowed to learn from you.  You and Stephanie are good people.  I hope I didn't bother you too much with my non-knife babbling, I do that when I'm nervous.

Mr. Fogg, your student does you honor.

Will

Thank you for posting the report, it makes me happy. I think this makes you a grand student. :)

Will,

It was a pleasure having you and you have an open invitation to visit again.

It is my responsibility to pass the knowledge of traditional Bladesmithing on to others that have the determination to learn to forge knives as I have with Mr. Fogg.  Modern technology is corrupting the traditional methods and without someone to learn the traditional ways, the forge blade may be lost forever.

As for being a teacher...I don't know about that?  All I have offered was the same lessons that I have learned from Mr. Fogg, He is the teacher and I am the Young Grasshopper willing to share what I have learned from the Old Master.

Dale Baxter

www.baxterknives.com

I don't know if I'm up to the responsibility of being Mr. Fogg's "grand student."  I do consider it an honor that you think I'm worth teaching.  We always learn when we teach, I don't know what you learned from teaching me (except about coal.) [tapedshut]   My poor lil brain is still reeling trying to digest what I learned.

FWIW, I'll bring a tent and sleep outside next visit so you'll be able to sleep better.  [dunno]