Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Moulton

elevator cable wire rope

i have some elevator cable wire rope. the wooden spool says Brugg wire rope. i would like to know if this cable would be good to make a knife out of. it is 5/8 inch thick and has 8 strands to it with each strand containing 19 pieces of wire. thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi, Just my 2cents worth. I use a 1 inch cable for blades.After you twist the 5/8 inch cable good and tight prior to welding the diameter might be too small for the blade you want to end up with. Altho I have used it before. I am a firm believer in using what you got.Just make sure it does not have the paper or fibers woven into the core strands. They make welding almost imposible. I have noticed a lot of newer cable with this stuff inside of it and I check for it when I find cable. It would be possible to carefully untwist the cable and remove the annoying stuff and retwist it. Happy New Year

You can also take the middle junk out and replace it with a solid round bar the right size. It's that much less air space to weld up, and gives a bigger bar at the end. But if you grind too deep it will show on the surface, and will show on the point regardless (I suppose that's another argument in favor of forging close to the final shape).