Sign in to follow this  
Barrett X. Houston

Working both bevels from one side

Through my struggles to keep the bevels of my knives even, I've tried many little tricks and shorcuts along the way; many of them admitedly stupid and a waste of time. But through my messing around I found a really cool trick.

Since I had alot of trouble working on my off side, instead of switching from my good side to my off side, I just raised the angle alot on my good side. I'll try to give an example: so you're forge one bevel pass with the blade facing you, instead of switching it around and forging with the blade away from you, you put a much steeper angle with the blade facing you (sorry if That wasn't a good example.). If you do it right it results in a sharp bevel on the off side that you can even out as you go. Its hard to explain and it sounds kinda weird but it does work.

Anybody else ever done this before?

Edited by Barrett X. Houston

Yup. B) That's called "letting your anvil do some of the work." For every hammer blow the anvil leaves a corresponding mark on the back side of the steel. The only reason I flip stuff over at all anymore is that my anvil leaves a smoother finish than my hammer! :lol:

Good job figuring it out on your own.

Although that method works with thin stuff, but be careful if you ever decide to move into thicker stuff, the metal moves faster where your hammer strikes it because some of the force of the hammer blow is absorbed by the material. Glad to hear you've figured it out though.

I think I'm following whay your saying. Yes, your anvil helps you along by doing to the other side what your doing with your hammer. However, what the anvil really doesn'nt do is put the evenness in that you need. The evenness that helps make both sides exactly the same, helps you from having your blade warp on you during heat treatment Even though it may be more difficult for you to work one side than the other, practicing to hit both sides the exact same way and number of sides is going to help you and provide you with a superior blade. I hope that this helps some.

Something else I didn't know . Thanks for posting this , saves me tryin to figure it out the hard way .

If it is stupid but it works it isn't stupid