Fe Chloride

Anyone have a good source of Fe Chloride. My local radio shack no longer carries.

Jim

http://www.mgchemicals.com/distributors/index.html Bob Mayo has a post that has this link. I used it today to locate some in South Florida. I looked at Oregon and there is nothing close to you but they do have an online order available. Wade

Wade

Jos et löydä rauhaa itsestämme on turhaa etsiä sitä muualta.

If you can not find peace within yourself, it is useless to look elsewhere.

Visit my website http://www.wadesknives.com

Theres a guy who sell ferric chloride powder by the pound on ebay, its less than 20 dollars shipped and Ive been told 1lb will make 4 to 5 gallons

J Anderson R

" Fools live to regret there words, wise men to regret there silence"- Will Henry

Theres a guy who sell ferric chloride powder by the pound on ebay, its less than 20 dollars shipped and Ive been told 1lb will make 4 to 5 gallons

Yep! The guy goes by "quartzpegmatite". I ordered a pound from him Friday a week ago and it arrived on Tuesday. He's got another posting now. Here's the Ebay item number: 270277871068

K

I was looking for FeCl at my San Diego CA Radio Shack and couldn't find any. When I asked the 19 year old cleark if they still carried PCB echant, I got a blank look. They don't even have it in the catalog any more.

I tried the hot lemon juice but, I'm looking for a little more contrast in the Damascus. Thanks for the source.

Jesse

• 3 months later...
Yep! The guy goes by "quartzpegmatite". I ordered a pound from him Friday a week ago and it arrived on Tuesday. He's got another posting now. Here's the Ebay item number: 270277871068

K

Did the Ferric Chloride work out good? How did you mix it. I have never bought a powder before.

Thanks

Did the Ferric Chloride work out good? How did you mix it. I have never bought a powder before.

Thanks

Oh yeah! It worked great. I mixed 4 ounces of the powder with a gallon of distilled water which is supposed to yield the same concentration as the Radio Shack etchant diluted 4:1. I tried it out on a damascus blade I had ready to etch and was very pleased with the result. I dipped it for 3 minutes at a time and cleaned the oxides off with worn 2000 grit paper between dips. Don't remember how many times I repeated the cycle but it must have been somewhere around half a dozen. Got good texture and couldn't be more pleased with the resulting contrast between the 1084 and 15n20.

K

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

Another place to try is Fry's Electronics. They usually have a lot of circuit-board, soldering, and component supplies. I bought a 1-liter bottle of concentrated PCB etchant there...I bet they have a web site too...

Brian K.

Edited to add: "Rat-Shack" has taken a beating in the electronics component world. With competition from the web (Digi-Key and Fry's, etc.), they have a hard time filling a profitable niche. I can only hope they keep selling the odd-ball batteries I often wind up needing. They are closing stores and trying to focus on cell phones and "helping" people (For those of us versed in the electronics world, this is a real BIG joke--those poor kids don't even know what a transistor is...).

Edited by RedNeckLeftie

Brian K.

Rogue Amateur and Weekend Hobbyist

I ordered some Ferric Chloride from quartzpegmatite on ebay. This was really a great transaction. I had a question, it was answered almost immediately, the package was well packed, the ferric chloride, anhydrous is bagged inside a taped sealed poly bottle and I received the Ferric Chloride in 2 days. Great service all around.

I certainly can recommend this supplier to anyone.

Now to do some etching.

Steve

I ordered some Ferric Chloride from quartzpegmatite on ebay. This was really a great transaction. I had a question, it was answered almost immediately, the package was well packed, the ferric chloride, anhydrous is bagged inside a taped sealed poly bottle and I received the Ferric Chloride in 2 days. Great service all around.

I certainly can recommend this supplier to anyone.

Now to do some etching.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Jim Allen

Three Sisters Forge

Bend, Oregon

http://www.threesistersforge.com

This is a nice outfit to work with... Graphic Chemical. They have "photo grade" ferric chloride. I was told it etches cleaner and lasts longer in storage. They've got other interesting stuff, too.

I mix 1 part FeCl3, and 1 part white vinegar, to 2 parts distilled water... a crisp, delicate etch.

Mike

Baltimore area

Bainesville Electronics carries 1 gallon jugs for $40.00 undiluted.

Seemed like a good price and I picked it up local.