Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tai

Oww my hand hurts

when i was a freshman in college i was so into blade making that it occupied most of free time which was needless to say almost the hole day ( i only had 4 classes and 1 or 2 a day)

anyways, when i wasn't with friends or eating or sleeping,

i spent the better part of my time in the art studio workshop grinding away steel

when they closed the shop, i'd go back to my dorm and pull out my state of the art technology (a swiss army knife saw and 2 nicholson files and get to work)

i turned manage to turn out a iaito daisho set of 1045 steel

is it just me or am i obsessed?

by the way, that was alot of work with only 2 files and a knife saw

I have tried to figure out how to get my forge in my dorm room for a year now.  I think I have found space for it and my anvil, but they wont even let me light a candle.  Think they will notice if I set up my smithy?

I think a forge in your dorm room is a great idea, however, likely to be discovered and it's hard to forge when your clapped in IRONS!  Why not put a small charcoal forge in your truck bed right behind the cab?  Face it into the wind and make sure there are no leaks in your gas tank!  HEH HEH [tapedshut] Shouldnt give you ideas :banghead:   The potential for fumes from your gas tank is the only hazzard I see here.  A beach umbrella properly positioned will provide cover for you and allow the smoke etc to escape.  OR you could just put a cap on the back, vent a gas fired forge out the top and hammer away! :cool:

The preceding message is not meant to be taken literally.  If you blow yourself up,  :(   iT's all YOU!  [dunno]

i'd steer clear of a forge in a dorm room. i'f you're interested in forging you should check to see if your campus has a metal working area.. mabye you could rent some space... just ask around.

First of all, my gas tank is IN the cab, so I think I'll be safe.  

Second, I was joking (maybe this should be first).

Third, to my dismay, there is place for forge here.  There are some great kilns and such I could use for HT and some small salt pots, but they are too small.  There are also quite a few hardness testing machines here to use.  We also recently got a nano-indenter.  That thing looks like it has some real potential for us knife-makers.  It is a little to new, still cleaning up the crates and bubble wrap, and just a little too expensive to even ask to use it.  I feel a little intimidated standing next to it.  

Anyhoo, I am forced to do file work, which is hard to do when I lost my fine file in this tiny room, and other such things.  I have recently begun to work on chain mail to fill my time between classes.  My forge is the first thing I visit when I go home for breaks.  Well, ok the fridge full of homemade leftovers is the first thing I visit, but the forge and shop is second.

Oh, and sadly the truck is at home.  It has a top speed of about 55 mph (going downhill with the wind at my back) and has a big dent near the driver's side door that prevents it from closing properly (mom did it not me), so it just sits around waiting to be fixed.  It isn't even licensed :( .  But that is neither here nor there.

you make chain maille? so do I :D  :P  "Its a small world after all,Its a small world after all..." i'd love to see some of your work email me chaindoggydog@hotmail.com