guarnera

W1 drill Rod

Sorry If this is the wrong place or that this was covered already, but when I did a search I got pages of stuff about everything but drill rod. Now for my question. I need 1/16th and 1/8th W1 drill rod. I looked in MSC and Enco and they had it, but did not list the chemistry. I'm looking for it with the lowest Maganese content. This is going to be a tanto or wak like it would be made from cable, but I want to start with all clean material. Twist, weld, fold weld 4 or 5 times and forge to shape. Does anyone know where to get W1 drill rod that has the Chemistry listed.

Thank you.

Tony G

I don't know what's considered low, but these guys have the chemistry listed for theirs:

http://www.speedymetals.com/information/material71.html

JV

Thank you. I like the chem composition of their W-1. It says it has .1% Vanadium. However, they are very expensive. I might go with them anyway, once I call them and make sure that it really does have Vanadium in it. Thanks again.

Tony G

Tony,

You could try these guys: Diehl Steel. I have been curious about their W1 and W2, even sent them an email once but, never received a reply. On their website, on the left hand side, position your mouse on "Cold Work Tool Steel" and you will see it. Most times steel distributors will list steel under a generic chemistry, if you ask nicely you may be able to get a copy of the "batch analysis."

~Bruce~

Tony,

You could try these guys: Diehl Steel. I have been curious about their W1 and W2, even sent them an email once but, never received a reply. On their website, on the left hand side, position your mouse on "Cold Work Tool Steel" and you will see it. Most times steel distributors will list steel under a generic chemistry, if you ask nicely you may be able to get a copy of the "batch analysis."

~Bruce~

We went through this already, Diehl Steel has had that stuff listed for a long time, but it is bogus information. They don't have it, and it has no vanadium in it. I got excited when I first fond their site. It would have been really nice to be able to get W1 with vanadium, which is actually W2, on a steady supply basis. But thanks a lot for the reply I might go with Enco. It's got .3-.4% Manganese. About what others list and its pretty cheap. My project is to twist up the drill rod like cable, fold a few times, and make a wak out of it. and I would like to get a nice hamon. Wish me luck.

Tony G

We went through this already, Diehl Steel has had that stuff listed for a long time, but it is bogus information. They don't have it, and it has no vanadium in it. I got excited when I first fond their site. It would have been really nice to be able to get W1 with vanadium, which is actually W2, on a steady supply basis. But thanks a lot for the reply I might go with Enco. It's got .3-.4% Manganese. About what others list and its pretty cheap. My project is to twist up the drill rod like cable, fold a few times, and make a wak out of it. and I would like to get a nice hamon. Wish me luck.

Tony G

Just placed an order with Trembly tool steels and they have W1 drill rod and W2 drop pieces and the gentleman I talked to said their W1 had a touch of vanadium but it wasn't enough to be considered W2

I got some W1 from Online Metals, and it came with a batch chem analysis.

Chem analysis says between 0.9 - 1.02 C, 0.3 - 0.5 MN, 0.1 - 0.3 SI, and almost no P or S.

I got 52 lbs for $180 shipped

Mike Lambiase

Tony, like you've found, Enco is probably the cheapest on W1 drill rod and from all I've heard, it is very consistent.

Most all W1 will have low enough Mn to produce a nice hamon and you will also burn some out in the forge welding process.

Also, like you said, the Diehl Steel info is wrong! But always comes up in a W1/W2 search.

Mike, that looks like a standard analysis range for all W1. A batch chem analysis would be more specific.

I think you are right. That was what was printed on the order slip.

I do, however, seem to remember getting some specific numbers about the individual batch.

I will look through my paperwork, but I could be remembering something else. Perhaps an older O1 order?

Mike Lambiase

I get my W1 through flat-stock.com, here's the link:

http://www.flat-stock.com/~store/Merchant2...egory_Code=PMDR

The stuff I get is from Precision-Marshall, I've attached the .pdf of their specs (Watercrat is what P-M calls their W1). FWIW, I get a great hamon with this steel using clay and brine quench, though I'm just learning and haven't played around with folding yet.

cheers,

/steve

drillrod_specs.pdf

I get my W1 through flat-stock.com, here's the link:

http://www.flat-stock.com/~store/Merchant2...egory_Code=PMDR

The stuff I get is from Precision-Marshall, I've attached the .pdf of their specs (Watercrat is what P-M calls their W1). FWIW, I get a great hamon with this steel using clay and brine quench, though I'm just learning and haven't played around with folding yet.

cheers,

/steve

Thank you everyone for the reply's. I shouldn't have any problems now.

Tony G