Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tai

To Mr. Tai

i am just curious as to if you ever tried the idea of resonating water while quenching? i remembered (or at least i think i remember) seeing you post something about this a while ago and was curious to see if anything came of it.

also just out of curiousity (again) what are some good sites for more information pertaining to the spiritual side of forging as you have hinted to a few times here and there. it sounds like some very interesting stuff.

thank you for your time,

Brent Kistner

pacesetter_1@hotmail.com

Guest Tai

I was doing a tuned vibro quench with veggy oil for a while. I used different things to introduce various vibrations into the quenching medium, to see what effect it would have on the rainbow quench lines I was getting. I checked the vibrations with a chain pendulum to see if it was a positive harmony or not. It really seemed to help for a while, but the effect started to wear off. I got one that was spectacular, with about 12 individual quench lines and every color in the rainbow, just from a single quench. Then it just started going back downhill. There were still too many variables involved to recreate that particular harmony or set of vibrations, between the hot steel and the quenching medium. So, now I'm back to natural vibrations or resonance and pure raw intuition.

The whole subject of the spiritual aspects of bladesmithing has been taboo in our culture for a long time. For me, it is a journey back to the ways of the ancestral bladesmiths and "masters", but I have no direct physical connection with them.

You can find bits and pieces of information by studying the history of bladesmting and metalsmithing, but no system for the practice of it. Those things were kept secret.

There isn't really much else to go on, no past experiences to relate it to.

I've been looking into "outside" disciplines. Greg posted a Mishlove interview on one of the threads. I found a page with lots of links to more of his interviews. I think there's some helpful stuff there.

http://www.mishlove.com/course.htm

Most of what I read makes references to creativity and creating. It's a big thing to the spiritual community. I'm also studying and practicing Yoga, Karate, and meditation, which seem to help. The people I live in the closest contact with say they think it is all having a positive effect on me and the way I'm dealing with everyday problems.

Good question.  :)

Guest Tai

I have read and heard of references to "chanting" during the forging and quenching of blades.

It was the whole idea of ancient "blade enchantment" that started this journey for me.

Guest Tai

I do think that personal systems for spiritual or supernatural bladesmithing are beginning to evolve in our culture. These may lead to an overall sytem or several major systems. It's another sign of the times.

If you read "The Way" on Don's website, he offers some helpful suggestions that seem to be pointing towards a more spiritual "path".

Although I don't have any real system yet, I think there are a few general statements I can make about spiritual bladesmithing now:

One must do the work for the sake of the work itself and not the rewards,... to learn to enjoy the work itself.

One needs a clear mind and a certain emotional detachment from the work. To view it from another perspective, more as an observer than a partcipant, to enter a state of "flow" or oneness. Once this state is achieved many trains of thought are possible simultaneously.

One must learn to be more intutitive.

One must not let the ego control the actions in the bladesmithing shop, or business of bladesmithing. It is a humble thing.

If there is a true spiritual side to bladesmithing, then it will result in some types of physical manifestations.

In the internal Japanese and Chinese sword practices, the practitioners are to feel themselves in the weapon as though it were an extension of their body.  

At first we imagine what that would be like.  After some practice, we start to feel the sword as an extension of a limb or finger.  Once we get proficient at it we experience the sword, or what ever else we are in relationship with, as an extension of our consciousness or personal energy.  The sensation is like having your mind (but not your mind) existing outside of yourself or in an object.  There is a conscious awareness of everything around you and the universal energy field becomes a very real experience.

Something I've noticed about the blade smiths who produce high quality knives and swords have a certain high quality to their personality.  I have yet to have a good feeling about a blade that was made by a person who wasn’t in an over all good space.  

If I were to work towards forging energetically enhanced or "magic" blades, I would start by working on myself and making sure that I was in an enlightened space.  Knowing how everything is interrelated and the closest thing to the forging material is me; I would wish myself to be in a state of grounded bliss. :)  Because whatever state I'm in would translate to how the blade feels to the owner.

Hay Tai.  What methods did you use to vibrate the quench?  Was it something strong like a speaker up next to it or more along the lines of harmonic materials?

Guest Tai
I tried all kinds of stuff. Playing music to it, talking to it, singing to it, hanging tubular chimes from it, and a variable speed pistol drill with an offset weighted bit. The pistol drill seemed to work the best,... at least for a while. I think I basically just psyched myself up and back out. :) So now I'm thinking direct thought energy (Hado vibrations) might be the ticket. It worked out O.K. on that last integral, and was probably the main factor all along. Whatever technique that gets me excited, increases my anticipation, expectation and enthusiasm is the way to go. Just do whatever I really feel like doing at any given moment, and trust my intuition. It's not about making sense anymore.  :D

Guest Tai
With all the talk about steel absorbing vibrations or energies, I should say that theoretically the "magic" wears off with the passage of time. Metal will hold vibrations longer than most materials, because of it's density,... but not forever. This means that the "aura" is strongest 'hot off the anvil". This probably has a lot to do with the fact that though we read about historic blades with "Magic" qualities, "enchanted blades", we don't see or experience any of their magic. There is usually just a very weak residual effect, if any.

Guest Tai

...this also has a lot to do with the fact that, generally speaking, except for rare cases, contemporary handmade knives will fetch more money than comparable antique knives.

The antiques are just "empty shells" of what they once were.  :(

Well that depends.  I've had some creapy ass feelings from some antiques before.  Like they have been used to kill all kinds of people before.  Funny, I've never really felt good energy from an authentic antique...   ???

Guest Tai

I've seen some with "shadow" energy, it's just the negative polarities.

Some hold the energy longer than others.

The more quality energy the smith puts into it and the better it is cared for seem to determine how long the "magic" lasts. It has to do with the level intimacy and personal connection the smith has with the piece.

Some knives, mostly mass produced knives, have little if any magic to them. Machines and power tools are counter-magical.

Stainless steel is relatively "dead" as a medium.