stick

knife from car spring

hey guys, got another one for ya.

A friend gave me some coil springs from his old 70's chevy. I gladly took them, and began to plan what kind of pointy ended instrument I was going to make out of them.

dagger-steps.jpg

grn-dagger2.jpg

grn-dagger1.jpg

14 1/2" overall, 8 1/2" blade. micarta handle, and steel hardware.

5160 I guess.. :)

I wanted it to look somewhat crude, but solid, and deadly.

curious what else I can make out of em? maybe a bearded axe?

thanks for lookin.

stick

Nice work.

Nice! Looks like an excellent fit. Great Job!!

interesting, I like the ring hilt

Yes sir, ya did good!! I too like the ring hilt and the beefy crossguard fits right into the overall design. I'd say that you have an eye for what I call "rightness". The nest dagger blade you try you might want to take the bevels back to the midline of the blade. I'm betting that you have the skill to do it. When you get real froggy you might want to put a fuller down the center of the blade too.

Doug Lester

Ok, that is freakin' sweet! I love the primitive, but well-fitted/finished look. I think you achieved the crude but deadly look you were trying for quite effectively. I like the perfectly-finished blades as well, but there is just something about a well-executed 'rough' piece that always seems to catch my eye. Very nice work.

cheers,

/steve

wow thanks for the the great compliments guys! I really aprecciate it.

thanks for the constructive criticism too. yeah I'm debating a fuller for something soon. I have only basic tools (beltsander, angle grinder, and files)though so I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it .Yeah I was gonna completelyfinish the blade,but something just looked right about just the sharp edges...somehow they looked "sharper" so I just left em that way.LOL. next one though will be nice and clean, maybe a modern tatical style. with some gun kote on it...

thanks again guys! Thanks for the inspiration, and high praise!

e

Wow! very nice. clean bold sharp and unique.

Love the ring pommel and just overall shape.

I think spraying it with a coat of WD40 would give it a nice sheen that would really make it look bold and dark.

You can forge or cut the fuller into a blade. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say if one method is better than the other but I know that both methods have been used for centuries. For forging, a modified spring fuller or a guillotine tool is probably best. You can use a top and bottom tool if you have a striker handy or you can forge the fuller in on one side then flip it over and do the other side while supporting the existing fuller with an appropiately sized half round rod. There are probably more than one plan for building a scraping tool on this site if you research it.

Doug Lester

Yes sir, ya did good!! I too like the ring hilt and the beefy crossguard fits right into the overall design. I'd say that you have an eye for what I call "rightness". The nest dagger blade you try you might want to take the bevels back to the midline of the blade. I'm betting that you have the skill to do it. When you get real froggy you might want to put a fuller down the center of the blade too.

Doug Lester

My sentiments as well, although I don't think I could have said it as well. very nice design and execution

thanks for the suggestions on the wd40, and the scraper link I'll definately spray it down, thats a great idea!

I'm already putting parts together for the scraper too. LoL I'll probably end up designing a blade around the fuller...hmmm

thanks again for the input guys :)

WOW! Beautiful! :)