Sign in to follow this  
polarbearforge

PVC pipe dust collection

I have seen dust collection systems that use Pvc pipe , does anybody have any advice or experience with this type of system? I presently have a Dayton 2 hp dust collector that sits atop a 35 gallon trash can, it also has a cloth bag for the finer dust. I've used it for my biggest belt grinder but would like to use it for a system for all my grinders using PVC to run to all the grinders. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Bill

From everything I've read/seen/been advised is not to use PVC for dust collection unless you have to.  Metal piping is better to prevent possible static shocks.  It you use PVC, make sure the entire system is properly grounded.  

Jamie

pvc also relises toxic gasses when heated that can cause liver cancer so i do not recomend it for hot sparks and metal filings from a belt grinder if you use it for wood and then metal you can get a nice smoldering burn that you wont know about till you turn the vac off (pulls the smell away from you ask me how i know this  :D  ) and that could get hot enuff to melt the pvc and relice fumes in to your shop use tha flexible aluminum or ridged galvinised steel it will be safer and probubly wont kill you in 20 years ok just my 2cents worth rant over now thank you bye bye [tapedshut]