Sign in to follow this  
dragoncutlery

suburban metalsmith

i am at a crossroads of sorts in life right now... i have just recently left the starting blocks and started following my goal to become a bladesmith. (right now you're probably thinking, whats the big deal?) well the bad part comes in when i add moving into the mix. my girlfriend and i are looking into getting a place together soon, and due to her schooling and work location, moving outside of a major metropolitan area(where she currently resides) is simply not an option. so maybe you guys can help me out here... i guess in my mind i have it worked out that this forging stuff is only for those outside of city limits (and maybe thats because i personally want to stay out of city limits as well...) but am i correct in assuming that most bladesmiths live or work outside of city limits or at least in a the less densely populated areas?  and do you have any ideas on how to keep working at this goal if i do have to move into the cities?

thank you for your time,

Brent Kistner

pacesetter_1@hotmail.com

i work in side the city limits i just dont tell them about it but if you hammer in the day or just grind a lot you should be ok unless your naibers suck i have herd of peple storing there lawn mower in ther shop becase thay took over the shed to be able to work in the city just my 2cents worth

Most of us live in suburbia I suspect and the pursuit of happiness depends entirely on the zoning and the state of relations with your neighbors.

I try to respect others when I work and try to never make noise after hours. I sharpen everyones tools and knives, make repairs, and generally try to be a good neighbor.

Zoning is another matter. If you try to go by the letter of the law, you will quickly find out that the laws were written specifically to prevent you from setting up shop. If you intend on running a business, then get a business location and don't do it from your house or be limited to areas that don't have zoning. If it is your hobby, don't upset the neighbors.

With the current tooling, you could set up a shop on the balcony of a condominium, but you would be an outlaw.

Brent,

I worked in the middle of the city before moving to the country.  Every kitchen within earshot of the hammer/forge (not the quiet venturi type either) had a handmade knife in it.  All the neighbors got their lawnmower blades sharpened.  If one of the fellows needed a little welding done, I helped him do it.  Everyone was happy with that arrangement.  When I needed to do big stuff, I went down to Howard's place for the day and helped him out.

There is a way to solve every problem.  The solution will come to you when it's time.

thanks for chiming in everyone. its always good to hear that there are ways to get around the few obstacles left in my way (as far as bladesmithing goes anyways). i dont really have intentions of turning this into a business but i am dedicated to learning more about this art, and at the very least , becoming proficient in it as well.

thank you once again,

Brent Kistner

pacesetter_1@hotmail.com

I live and work in a quiet, older neighborhood in northeast Tucson. All of my neighbors know that a dull knife or other tool can be brought to me. Straighten tines on a digging fork? Sure!

I've always used a propane forge, so they don't have to smell sulphur as I coke down some coal. My anvil is well-bedded in silicone so that there is no ringing.

In other words do what we all talk about as a desideratum: be a good, considerate neighbor, and help your neighbors.

Bread on the waters.

Good luck!