Armadillo fillet

Calvin Robinson

IMG_0599.JPG

My mullet master modle with stabelized armadillo hide handle.Blade is 6 3/16 long 1/8 thick overall length 10 3/16. Hollow ground D-2 60Rc. Comments?

Calvin Robinson

Calvin`s Handmade Knives

Pace Florida 32571

calvinshandmadeknives@yahoo.com

850-572-1504

Looks great! I like the Loveless bolts on the handle, and that hide is nice

J Anderson R

" Fools live to regret there words, wise men to regret there silence"- Will Henry

interesting, never even seen armadillo hide before.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

Is that hide from the armor shell, or the soft underside? It's been awhile since I seen an armadillo 'round these parts...

Brian K.

Yes the shell, a full grown armadillo will yeild 9 sets of knife scales. If you want to see some armadillos come to Florida,we are overrun with them. I shoot evereone of them that I can just to help keep the population down. I`m glad that someone finally came up with a good use for them.

Calvin Robinson

Calvin`s Handmade Knives

Pace Florida 32571

850-572-1504

Calvin,

Having lived in the low country for many years prior to moving to the mountains, I'm interested in your "mullet master" from the point of view of "you EAT mullet"?

I used to catch them in my cast nets when shrimping south of Savannah and tried every which way to fix them and nothing made them taste good.

What's your recipe? Nice handle by the way...black dye really dresses up that dilla skin.

Do you prepare the hide yourself, by tacking it out and letting it dry, or with tanning methods? Did you dye that with analine dye, or alcohol or what?

It has been awhile but we always smoked 'em. Head and butterfly them, very light on any oil as they are oily fish, apply any rub (don't ask - it was my father in laws' rub and he didn't tell me the recipe) that suits you and into a low heat smoker for several hours. The mullet end up looking kinda golden/yellowish/tanish color. In the meantime, mama is getting the cheese grits on the stove, the hush puppy batter is being prepared, the onions (Vidalia of course) are sliced, the sliced dill pickles are put in bowls, big pitchers of sweet tea are prepared. A big pot of green (not the color but a term to signify raw but not dried) peanuts has been on the boil for a couple of hours. The guys are over in one corner telling lies about the last fishing trip, the kids are playing in the yard, the wives are in the kitchen talking about recipes, men, babies, etc. It is fall, the smell of burning leaves ( it was a very long time ago!) is in the air. Soon everyone has a plate, a drink and the conversation dies down as we eat. The TV is on, a game is on, the yelling at the teams commences amidst the moans and groans of overstuff bellies. The kids soon run out of energy and start getting cross. Hugs and kisses, handshakes and 'lets do this again next year' and it is soon over. The left over smoked mullet is wrapped up and into freezer bags, the remainder of the green boiled peanuts also is placed into quart sized freezer bags. The mullet and the peanuts next see the light of day during Super Bowl. They are thawed out and warmed up and every one sits around eating smoked mullet and boiled peanuts in mid winter. Good memories....

hmmm, interesting never would've though of armadillo scales...

neat idea. :)

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Calvin,

Having lived in the low country for many years prior to moving to the mountains, I'm interested in your "mullet master" from the point of view of "you EAT mullet"?

I used to catch them in my cast nets when shrimping south of Savannah and tried every which way to fix them and nothing made them taste good.

What's your recipe? Nice handle by the way...black dye really dresses up that dilla skin.

Do you prepare the hide yourself, by tacking it out and letting it dry, or with tanning methods? Did you dye that with analine dye, or alcohol or what?

Ray,

Yes I eat mullet,they are my all time favorite fish. I have lived on the gulf coast of Florida all my life, near Pensacola.The mullet around here taste good because of the sandy bottom they feed on, they are considerd a delicacy around here. The fresher the better, cooked on the beach imediatley after catching is the best. In my opinion filleted and deep fried is the only way to eat mullet or any other fish for that matter. I eat the fillets,the back bone ,the tail,the roe and the gizzard. Yes thats right, the gizzard. A mullet is the only fish with a gizzard, as far as I know. I`ve heard it said that a mullet is not a fish at all but a bird, because it has a gizzard! My recipe is fresh fish, salt and pepper, cornmeal and 350 degree peanut oil. Drop them in and when they float to the top they are done.

I don`t prepare the armadillo hide myself,I buy the stabelized scales from Dewaine Batten in Jacksonville Florida.

Calvin Robinson

Calvin`s Handmade Knives

Pace Florida 32571

850-572-1504