Clarks Hofi Style Hammers

Jerry Fisher

I'm going to give myself one of Tom Clarks, Hofi style hammers as a birthday present. I was wondering about the angle peen. Love to hear some feedback on it. I have never had my hands on one so just wondering if there is really anything to be gained over a cross or straight peen. All input appreciated.

thanks

Jerry Fisher

Make sure you get the right/left handed one accordingly. They are great hammers you will be VERY satisfied, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Thanks Sam,

Do you prefer the angle to the straight or cross for bladesmithing, just wondering what the benefits would be, I've never had a chance to use one.

Jerry

If you use you cross or straight peen hammers for drawing out or putting a distal taper in a blade, or if you want to, the angled peen makes it easier. I just got Tom Clarks rounding hammer. Has a flat face on one side and a slightly rounded face on the other side that works good used over the horn to put a taper in a blade. Very nice hammer. I'd like to get the Hofi style also.

Tony G

Hi Jerry,

I never tried the Hofi, but angled type peen hammers can be nice. In use, I can hold the tongs or stock closer to my body (around my left hip), and still swing the hammer in what feels like a natural arc for me. I believe there are two distinct angles, so decide if you want to draw the length or width of your project, unless the Hofi has both.

I would use a straight peen to draw length, and a cross peen to draw the width of something. The angled ones sort of cross the working path of your two arms at 45* on the anvil face instead of 90*. Extreme caution with the noob comments here. Hope the sea robin is up and running.

Take care, Craig