Ballock Dagger

Hi guys.

here's one I've just finished. it's sterling silver, 300 layer damascus, birdseye maple. the dagger is 12 1/4 inches long. some of you saw me cast the fittings for this at ashokan. thanks for lookin' :)

Now it's back to the Viking age for me.

0ballock1.jpg

0ballock2.jpg

Hi guys.

here's one I've just finished. it's sterling silver, 300 layer damascus, birdseye maple. the dagger is 12 1/4 inches long. some of you saw me cast the fittings for this at ashokan. thanks for lookin' :)

Now it's back to the Viking age for me.

Wow, Great knife. That Ballock has got some set of balls on him. And I don't mean that as a joke. They really catch your attention. Very nice work.

Tony G :rolleyes:

Ooohh /drools That's absolutely gorgeous. I need to work on a dirk and a ballock dagger. I've been doing a lot of 17th and 18th century Scottish weapon research as of late, and have determined that I need a nice dirk. I was thinking of working on a replica of the nice dirk in figure 2:4 of Culloden : The Swords and the Sorrows... but after seeing your work of art there... I may just have to do a ballock dagger first !

Edited by Justin Mercier

Well done sir, stunning, Love the carving.

Can't wait to see the viking age piece!

The pointy silver bits at the guard really set it off! Well, that and the apparent veins on the...um..."haunches," yeah, that's it... :lol:

Or is that just an illusion caused by the figure in the wood?

love the case and blade... i've never seen a dag of that type done so well...

and the diamond cross section is just too cool

aswell as being very Bbbbballoky ^_^

Greg

ps. my fingers hurt just looking at that carving on the birds eye maple... nicely done

nice. i really like the geometric shaping of the guard. makes it look kinda regal. was there any particular reason you went with silver instead of bronze on this one? my one comment beyond the usual superlatives is that it would perhaps have looked good with some silver studs in the knotwork on the handle, but superb work once again.

Thanks guys.

Hi Alan, yeah that's just a happy coincidence of maple figure and round surfaces :lol:

Hi Jake, I guess I felt like this birdseye maple was particularly special, and could do with some silver imbelishment. I really like the idea of putting silver studs in the knotwork. next time. :)