Video: Forging a tanto

I was fooling around and decided to see how well I could record video with my photo camera. Turns out I had to delete about half of the footage because the autofocus of the camera was playing tricks on me. This is a video of what I salvaged.

Edited by Jesus Hernandez

Thanks for the comments.

The steel in the billet is tamahagane. These bars came from two smelts. One yielded soemthing like 1050. The other something like 1095 or a bit more carbon. So I combined the two together and we'll see what turns out.

I don't know who made my hammer. I wish I knew since I have become so used to it and I would like to have another one like it.

I do tend to forge hotter than most. Specially when working this material. But not at white heat. The white balance of the camera may be a bit off. I can forge pretty quickly when it's hotter and this metal moves very fast. I will turn down the heat as I get to the final stages of forging in preparation for thermal cycling.

Thank you Jesus , very informative stuff for a new guy like me . The second and third times I watched it is just because I never lose my fascination for watching the steel take shape . The camera angle was great for that !

Great video, Thanks for sharing. Nice shop.